Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Buck Mark URX Lite for Rimfire Challenge and Steel Challenge?

Hotchkiss

Hello;

I want to start shooting the Limited Division in Rimfire Challenge and Steel Challenge and I'm considering the Browning Buck Mark URX Lite.  Does anyone have any experience with stainless steel-sleeved, aluminum barreled Buck Marks?  Any concern with reliability or longevity?  Any input on the Buck Mark would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Buck Mark II.png

I really like mine.  I have two.  One set-up for Limited and one set-up for Open, and I compete in both Rimfire Challenge and Steel Challenge.  Only major issue I have had so far was a broken ejector in the Limited pistol at around 30,500 rounds.  The Open gun is at ~21,500 rounds without any major issues.  

2 hours ago, AR_James said:

I really like mine.  I have two.  One set-up for Limited and one set-up for Open, and I compete in both Rimfire Challenge and Steel Challenge.  Only major issue I have had so far was a broken ejector in the Limited pistol at around 30,500 rounds.  The Open gun is at ~21,500 rounds without any major issues.  

Thank you, great input...  I have long shot an S&W 617 with a 6" barrel in both shooting disciplines.  I thought I would give a bottom feeder a try.  The 7.25 barrel's sight radius really appeals to me, and they can actually be sold here in California.

Your limited set-up...  Did you stay with the factory fiber optic front sight and the stock rear sight?  What other changes have you made to it?  Thanks again.

17 hours ago, Hotchkiss said:

Your limited set-up...  Did you stay with the factory fiber optic front sight and the stock rear sight?  What other changes have you made to it?  Thanks again.

I have replaced the fiber optic rod a few times, but I stayed with the same sight front & rear.  

At about 9,000 rounds, I replaced the factor extractor with the TandemKross Eagle's Talon as the only issue I was having was an occasional stovepipe.  Went from averaging a stovepipe ~300 rounds to almost non-existent (one maybe every 10,000).  Ran that set-up until last month.  When the ejector broke, it was replaced; and at the same time, I went ahead and replaced the sear spring with the TandemKross "GearBox", replaced the recoil guide rod with the Striplin Custom Gunworks Eliminator guide rod (makes cleaning much easier and no more messing with that tiny c-clip), and removed the magazine disconnect.  

The Open gun got all the same changes to keep them as similar as possible.  Plus, it has an Allchin Gun Parts C-More scope mount.  

44 minutes ago, AR_James said:

I have replaced the fiber optic rod a few times, but I stayed with the same sight front & rear.  

At about 9,000 rounds, I replaced the factor extractor with the TandemKross Eagle's Talon as the only issue I was having was an occasional stovepipe.  Went from averaging a stovepipe ~300 rounds to almost non-existent (one maybe every 10,000).  Ran that set-up until last month.  When the ejector broke, it was replaced; and at the same time, I went ahead and replaced the sear spring with the TandemKross "GearBox", replaced the recoil guide rod with the Striplin Custom Gunworks Eliminator guide rod (makes cleaning much easier and no more messing with that tiny c-clip), and removed the magazine disconnect.  

The Open gun got all the same changes to keep them as similar as possible.  Plus, it has an Allchin Gun Parts C-More scope mount.  

Thank you for all the information.  I really appreciate it.

• 6 months later...

In case you find a deal for a non-lite gun, I replace the barrel on mine with a Tactical Solutions buckmark barrel and like it a lot.

If I was looking for a new rimfire pistol now, though, I'd take a good luck at the new ruger 22/45 lite - it's takedown is easier than any other and you don't have to worry about the top screws getting loose like with the buckmark.