Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Get Going

Vlad

Recently I noticed that I'm slow to start moving on stages that start standing relaxed. What I'm refering to are stages where you dont start shooting from the start position, but have to move in some direction for a few yards or more before starting to shoot.

I can move fairly fast out of shooting positions because my legs already have some built in spring from being bent at the knees, but starting from standing is painfully slow, at least if I try to stand natural. There is relaxed and then there is relaxed, and clearly there is tention in various body parts, but I cant seem to find a way to build initial momentum. Watching myself on tape, it seems that I try to lean forward to get my body moving before stepping forward and it feels and looks slow. A budy suggested loading a lot of my body weight in one heel and pushing off against it but that feel very unatural to me and its hard to get right. I've also experimented with just taking the time lower myself after the beep and to build up some spring in my legs that way, before I even start to move.

Any suggestions, idea, secrets?

I've also experimented with just taking the time lower myself after the beep and to build up some spring in my legs that way, before I even start to move.

How about falling out of the box? In my aikido world, you drop weight from your center from an active stance (knees slightly bent, pelvis tilted slightly back, weight evenly distributed on the balls of the feet - shoulder over hip over ankle etc) to start movement. At the first sound of the beep, break/bend which ever knee you wish to step with and fall that direction. Off you go... There isn't any springing or tensing up to start moving, just shifting weight and falling.

There's some more goodies in this thread

Recently I noticed that I'm slow to start moving on stages that start standing relaxed.

When I took a class from Eric Grauffel, he suggested stepping at an angle instead of straight forwards. He taught to shift weight at about 45 degrees from straight ahead to start movement.

I guess it's kinda like Carina suggests. Falling at an angle and recover in the direction you want to move.

Also note from watching Eric how he moves his arms while running. It looks like he is swimming through the air.

If you watch Eric shoot, he is already moving before the beep stops. He is extremely fast getting into motion. He and his dad have this down to a science!

I worked a stage at Area 4 in 2004 that required starting with both heels against a board. Both Blake Miguez and Max Michel dropped their right foot back and launched off of it to run to the shooting position.

It sound counter intuitive, but these guys are FAST!

Al