Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reinstalling the safety?

gittist

I have a steel EAA Witness. To do a little extra cleaning before putting it away for the season I took out the sear assembly. Now that everything is nice and clean I can't get the safety to click back into the frame. It seems that the plunger and spring on the safety prevent it from snapping back in.  I tried pressing it in while toying with the safety but no luck.  Without the plunger it will go right in,  with and without the sear assembly.   I tried installing the safety without the sear assembly but it won't go in. The spring that you need to move is 'moved'. 

Has anyone dealt with this before?  Solution?

thanks

It sounds like you have a model with the rounded trigger guard which works more like the  orginal CZ-75 design than the newer square-triggerguard competition frame models that most of the guys in here shoot. (Stock 2s and such.)

Do it have a single-sided safety or ambidextrous safeties on both sides of the frame?

First thing make sure the sear spring is propped up on that little channel in the sear cage.. second, when I put the sear cage in, I push the front of the sear down and slide the cage back slightly and it clicks into place allowing the safety to slide into position. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies but I finally got it in and looking at the marks on the frame I wonder if the factory had it installed correctly. My single sided safety has a hole all the way through the shaft, The top 75% or so of it is drilled wider than the other 25%. The plunger of course is wider at the top than the bottom to match the hole in the shaft. What was throwing me off was that the plunger wouldn't easily go into the wide part of the hole and have the narrower part stick out on the other side which in the end is what I got it to do.  I had to fiddle with it with it almost on until not only the narrow part of the plunger lined up with the smaller hole, but the wider part lined up. I also think that either the hole or the plunger isn't 'true', maybe due to wear and tear? 

Note to self: don't ever take it apart again!!!

• 1 year later...