Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too much pressure?

SelfPeace

Hello, everyone! I was loading 124gr Berry’s plated RN over 4.0 TG to 1.150 for my Shadow 2 and it ran beautifully. I’ve run out and am now using RMR 124gr RN. The profile is a tiny bit different with the RMR and after doing a plunk test, I am having to load to 1.130. 

Should I necessarily lower my previous powder charge since my new OAL is shorter? Or, would 4.0 still be ok?  I did not get to compare the dimensions of the 2 bullet brands. 

Thank you!!!

Haven’t loaded 124gr plated projectiles in a little while, but 4.0 looks to be at the high end of the load data from Hogdon (4.1 max). I think I had loaded the Berry’s at 1.13-1.14 from 3.6 to 4.0ish with no pressure signs. I have seated bullets about 0.02” deeper with no noticeable change in the load. If you weren’t seeing any pressure signs at all you’re probably safe to send a couple down range and check for pressure. That is totally my opinion though, and it probably wouldn’t hurt to take a little extra time to do a little load development just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SelfPeace said:

Btw, other than a flattened primers and damaged casings, what are other over-pressure signs?

If you are shooting minor, 125-135 PF in 9mm, using the popular powders it is almost impossible to “over pressure” the load. (Note I wrote almost impossible for those naysayers).

If you want to load with accuracy then get a chrono and check the velocities of your loads when you make changes. 
Then when you find the right velocity for the PF you want, tweak it up or down a bit to find the most accurate load for that bullet and gun combo.

Basically my answer is, until you push the speeds up near major PF there’s no real need to check for OP, and again that is based on having a chrono to check your loads.

Hey you spent hundreds or even thousands on reloading equipment, so for less than $100 one can get a simple and accurate Chrono.

4 hours ago, SelfPeace said:

Btw, other than a flattened primers and damaged casings, what are other over-pressure signs?

If you see velocity jump up higher and are still using the same powder and charge weight, that's a good indication you've done something to increase pressure.

It's definitely worth $100 or so to buy yourself a chrono; with all we spend on loading equipment there's no real reason not to. I would avoid the "Shooting Chrony" brand though, I regretted buying mine. I've been much happier with a Pro Chrono for about the same price, and there is an upside-down Caldwell unit that might be worth checking out. 

• 3 weeks later...