Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buffer Weight for 16” Barrel W/Suppressor

NateTSU

I have a 16” intermediate gas rifle that I think is over gassed. Without the suppressor it ejects brass at 4 o’clock with the suppressor on it ejects brass at 1/2 o’clock. If I understand correctly I need to add a heavier buffer, I have a standard weight carbine buffer now. What weight would you recommend the H2 or H3? 

Barrel is a AR 15 Performance 16” 1/8 w/intermediate gas. 

The can is a Q Trash Panda

Load is 23.1 of H322 and a Hornady 55gr sp. 

Wanna change the ejection pattern??? Change the ejector spring! That damn B.S. chart is that! There is so much that goes into where any particular rifle throws brass that it ain't even funny! I.E. change the recoil spring.....not one is the same! Fresh gas rings will throw brass differently than old! Suppressed, non suppressed...etc. ect.  The real questions are do they all extract/eject with no problem??? I.E. reliable!!! Are the rims getting torn up from premature unlocking??? If not run the snot out of it and be happy!!!! (And that is just a tiny short list of what will change "ejection patterns"!!!!! Complete .B.S.!!!

Edited by kurtm

Yep, not sure why people followed that stupid 'rule of thumb' chart/graph/pictogram.  My Valmet slings brass at 1 o'clock and Mach 2 speed, almost took out someone's eyeball.  In all seriousness, sounded like your gun is fine as is with or without the can, I would leave it alone.

Edited by PacMan

Kurt/Pac-Man yes the rifle runs reliable with and without the can, brass isn’t getting chewed up and it locks the bolt back when it’s empty. So no need to change the buffer and nothing to worry about. I will take that 50 bucks buy more powder and shoot more. Thanks for the help guys.