Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coming off my best match - chasing the dragon

Mcfoto

Basking in the glow of my best match performance yet. Local ICORE with a whopping 11 shooters, I finished middle of the pack. Several factors contributed:

1. Most of the top shooters were away at an USPSA level 2.

2. Zero “run and gun” stages, at the most “Box A to Box B”

3. Hello ICORE, lo-cap friendly.

for the above reasons, I was able to relax and bring more dry fire techniques into match play. Mentally, I felt relaxed so I could shoot to my best ability. Big win of the day: cleared a Texas Star with 5 shots.

So, the day after and I’m wondering how I can bring this version of the “zone” to my monthly USPSA match with 100 shooters and “you better run” hi-cap challenging stages.

1 minute ago, Mcfoto said:

That's my biggest objective next year - to attend matches ONLY when

the Big Boys are away.     Heck, I won't have to dry fire or practice much -

and my retirement plan is to win The Lottery.     😇

1 hour ago, Mcfoto said:

Basking in the glow of my best match performance yet. Local ICORE with a whopping 11 shooters, I finished middle of the pack. Several factors contributed:

for the above reasons, I was able to relax and bring more dry fire techniques into match play. Mentally, I felt relaxed so I could shoot to my best ability. Big win of the day: cleared a Texas Star with 5 shots.

So, the day after and I’m wondering how I can bring this version of the “zone” to my monthly USPSA match with 100 shooters and “you better run” hi-cap challenging stages.

The question is, would it have been your best match performance had the top shooters been there? I'm not asking if you would have won, but if it would have been your best. If not, then you are letting the thought of competing and doing well affect the way you shoot matches. Lose the expectation of winning or even doing well, shoot your match (not someone else's), and just shoot. Some of the best matches I have ever shot were months apart, with no practice in between. I went to the match, not expecting anything other than to see friends and BS with them. I actually didn't care if I shot well or shot poorly, just that I was out with friends shooting....Had my best match to date...and I'm still chasing that kind of mindset...it is difficult. 

On 9/22/2019 at 7:05 PM, Mcfoto said:

The high lighted bits are the key. You were relaxed and confident becasue you had trained the skills needed to do well that day. If you want to do well at a match that test different skills you need to train them until you are that confident with them.

Ok

If your goal is top placement then find matches with new comers to USPSA, but if it’s the mental game that’s another issue.

Fact 1:

The top shooters could care less about how you shoot.

Fact 2:

The top shooters only care about how they shoot each stage and make up any errors. I believe most do not compare scores to judge how hard they should put the pedal down to beat the others. They know what their personal abilities are and shoot within those.

Best advice:

No one cares how you shoot, unless it’s unsafe. So analyze, strategize, memorize, and visualize each stage; then shoot what you see. 

The amazing part is your performance will become consistent and improve as your practice. 

Go to some major matches, that will give some experience shooting more than 4-6 stages typical of a local match. It will also help you be calmer/more mentally focused at the local ones. 

BTW, you asked a question that begs for these responses. 

Have fun shooting. 

• 8 months later...