Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AmmoBot on 1050 - Are the extra sensors helpfull?

Yesterday I Installed two AmmoBots on my 1050s, both are up and running.     Probably only took me about 30 min to set up the second one right after the first.  First was probably 1.5hr due to fabbing a bracket to put the motor drive box on the side of my bench.   The 3d Printed round drop chutes I bought off eBay claimed "easy to find" 2" hose not included.   Well its not easy to find.   Hardware stores, Home Dept etc. all do not carry 2" hose.  Going to have to go to an industrial hose supply to get them.  So using the bins for now, until I can get some 2" hose. Prob just order it on line. 

I have the case extractor and primer sensor system coming I ordered those after the two AmmoBots.    My main question for those using the AmmoBot system are you using the Bullet Orientation or Case sensors?   Just curious if your finding these working for you much and if the set up each time for them is worth the function.   Also is there any other sensors to consider for this system?   

So far loving these things, I ran 1500 rounds of 9mm about an hour after getting the first AmmoBot installed.  

IMG_1804.jpg

Case sensor is a must, especially with 380 and 9mm brass, primer pocket sensor is also a yes and has saved the day when a primer doesn't get punched out. The primer pocket is also a miracle worker with 45 ACP brass which has both small and larger primers.

If you use either of these two add the case extractor to eject the failed brass.

I have the bullet sensor, but found it really was not necessary, unless you intend to leave the press unattended, something not recommended.

Another alternative is to relocate your control boxes and cut holes in the bottom of your current bins and put nice sized plastic tubs under the hole.This is what I have on my 650

By the way very jealous of your setup

Edited by m700

Absolutely get the DBOS.  The bullet orientation is awesome!  Keeps from wasting powder or components if a bullet topples off.  The SSCD is great as well.   Love them.  

Also suggest processing your ammo prior to loading it.  If you do, really need to add The Judge die to the processing head.  It is worth it's weight in gold.  

22 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Case sensor is a must, especially with 380 and 9mm brass, primer pocket sensor is also a yes and has saved the day when a primer doesn't get punched out. The primer pocket is also a miracle worker with 45 ACP brass which has both small and larger primers.

If you use either of these two add the case extractor to eject the failed brass.

I have the bullet sensor, but found it really was not necessary, unless you intend to leave the press unattended, something not recommended.

I call 380 brass evil due to how it sneaks into my 9mm.   Especially when I take new shooters and they are "helpful" picking up brass.  It got so bad, I now use separate brass bags for guests and main dump bucket for brass not picked up by me.   That brass has to be eyeballed by me before it goes anywhere near my processing.

Makes sense.  I will get the added sensors.   Yes I have the case extractor inbound right now, I only got one but one of each primer pocket probes.   I might just get another extractor for the second press so I dont have to move it around.   Absolutely do not plan to do unattended reloading, its a great system but not a lights out and walk away one! 

2 hours ago, m700 said:

Get a shop vac hose and the rubber reducer piece. I think they have 8' pieces you should only need 1. Also the corrugated hose may slow the bullets a bit

Every shop vac hose I looked at was 1.5 or 1.75" max. 

2 hours ago, m700 said:

Another alternative is to relocate your control boxes and cut holes in the bottom of your current bins and put nice sized plastic tubs under the hole.This is what I have on my 650

By the way very jealous of your setup

Control boxes are out of the way on the bench top.  These are away from the receiving bins.   Interesting idea to use the bin as a drop point then let it go through a hole to another level.   I already bought the 3D printed drop chutes, so will just track the 2" hose down.  Its on line so prob just order it.  I called an industrial supply this AM, they have it  and I can sift through their scrap bin for a low cost remnant if I want.   Problem is just time, hence order it on line.  Time is a limited commodity for me and why I have setup my reloading as I have to maximize the time I have for reloading

Thanks, the set up was not overnight for me.   Just building on it as I go to make my output the max I can for my time.   The 2nd 1050 is set up a large primer for my 10mm Auto,  processing my .308 brass and making 300blk brass w/o having break down what I am loading on the small primer machine.   Now with automation I can have it working on brass processing why I am loading on the other. (whahaoo!) 

1 hour ago, GregJ said:

Absolutely get the DBOS.  The bullet orientation is awesome!  Keeps from wasting powder or components if a bullet topples off.  The SSCD is great as well.   Love them.  

Also suggest processing your ammo prior to loading it.  If you do, really need to add The Judge die to the processing head.  It is worth it's weight in gold.  

I am in for the DBOS and the SSCD.   Can you elaborate on processing prior to loading it?  So run pistol brass for processing on its own separately from loading?   Is this to allow any wrong cases etc to be weeded out so less chance of stopping a loading session?    

What does the Judge Die do?    I currently run a Lee Universal decapping die w/ a Squirrel Daddy center pin in station one.   I have the AB sensors on order to put on top incase it pushes the center pin up on a bad or blocked case. 

17 hours ago, helocat said:

I am in for the DBOS and the SSCD.   Can you elaborate on processing prior to loading it?  So run pistol brass for processing on its own separately from loading?   Is this to allow any wrong cases etc to be weeded out so less chance of stopping a loading session?    

What does the Judge Die do?    I currently run a Lee Universal decapping die w/ a Squirrel Daddy center pin in station one.   I have the AB sensors on order to put on top incase it pushes the center pin up on a bad or blocked case. 

When I first got my 1050 and AB, I tried to load brass that had not been processed first, just cleaned, as I had never processed brass before (decap, etc).  I had a LOT of issues getting my setup to run, mostly pulled back primers - just one can really muck up the works, and has the potential of causing a primer stack ignition if the primer shuttle is not kept clean.

At the guidance of a few great resources here, I started processing all my (pistol) brass.  This makes the loading process SOOOOOO much smoother, because you are virtually guaranteed of not having any primer pull back issues, wrong cases, etc, etc. etc.

I have a separate tool head to process brass.  The first die is a universal decapper with the Berdan primer sensor (must have sensor), second die is The Judge die (this is also a must in my book, as it not only separates 38S and SC from 9, but also will alert if rubber junk is inside case, as well as other issues).  Last two dies are a Dillon size die minus the primer pin, and an EGW-U die.  I am a big fan and believer in the EGW-U die.  Been using it for 45 and 9 for years and have never had a setback issue since, as I use mixed range brass.

Another side benefit or two of processing first, processing brass can be really dirty due to the old primer dust, etc.  When switching over from loading to processing, and vice versa, since I basically have to strip the press down, it is a great time to thoroughly clean and grease things, and inspect for worn items or replace normal wear things like the primer magazine tube tip.

Also, suggest you get a bunch of Lee universal decap pins, keep all the broken ones, and send a bunch in to Lee as they will replace them.  I used the SD pins, but always go back to the Lee pins.

Let me know if you have any other questions, am happy to help.  The AB Facebook page is also great support, everyone there is very helpful. 

Alwasys Process then load in seperate steps.

2 hours ago, GregJ said:

Also, suggest you get a bunch of Lee universal decap pins, keep all the broken ones, and send a bunch in to Lee as they will replace them.  I used the SD pins, but always go back to the Lee pins.

This is really awesome advice, and a lot of the brass processing guys do this as a means of staying running all the time without having to worry about parts $$.

On 9/24/2019 at 4:51 AM, GregJ said:

When I first got my 1050 and AB, I tried to load brass that had not been processed first, just cleaned, as I had never processed brass before (decap, etc).  I had a LOT of issues getting my setup to run, mostly pulled back primers - just one can really muck up the works, and has the potential of causing a primer stack ignition if the primer shuttle is not kept clean.

At the guidance of a few great resources here, I started processing all my (pistol) brass.  This makes the loading process SOOOOOO much smoother, because you are virtually guaranteed of not having any primer pull back issues, wrong cases, etc, etc. etc.

I have a separate tool head to process brass.  The first die is a universal decapper with the Berdan primer sensor (must have sensor), second die is The Judge die (this is also a must in my book, as it not only separates 38S and SC from 9, but also will alert if rubber junk is inside case, as well as other issues).  Last two dies are a Dillon size die minus the primer pin, and an EGW-U die.  I am a big fan and believer in the EGW-U die.  Been using it for 45 and 9 for years and have never had a setback issue since, as I use mixed range brass.

Another side benefit or two of processing first, processing brass can be really dirty due to the old primer dust, etc.  When switching over from loading to processing, and vice versa, since I basically have to strip the press down, it is a great time to thoroughly clean and grease things, and inspect for worn items or replace normal wear things like the primer magazine tube tip.

Let me know if you have any other questions, am happy to help.  The AB Facebook page is also great support, everyone there is very helpful. 

GregJ, Great information!   Thank you.   Makes complete sence to run the brass separately, especially now with automation.  Most loading jams I have had with the 1050 has been case feeding or primer feeding issue.    I like the idea of keeping the press cleaner for loading.    I have the EGQ-U dies ordered for my main pistol loads.   I will add the Judge Die to my AB order. 

Great info on the Lee decapping pins.   I have a pile of SD ones now since they do last longer for me.  BUT of course SD is not replacing them when they do brake.   I will switch back over to the OEM Lee pins and follow that advice to just send them in for replacment in batches. 

Great stuff everyone, thank you. 

On 9/24/2019 at 7:01 AM, Laxman2809 said:

Alwasys Process then load in seperate steps.

This is really awesome advice, and a lot of the brass processing guys do this as a means of staying running all the time without having to worry about parts $$.

Thats crazy Lee supports lifetime warranty on something being used for commercial use.   I know thats one of the reasons Dillon only does 1yr on the 1050. 

Yes I will switch over to processing brass separately.  

On 9/22/2019 at 2:09 PM, HesedTech said:

On 9/23/2019 at 10:50 AM, GregJ said:

I would to hear about your guys expirience with the SCCD and the DBOS. I purchased both and am curious if you find them useful.

56 minutes ago, GregJ said:

Hell yes they are useful!!  Probably best additions to the press. 

Greg -

If you were going to get the various sensors one at a time, what order would you get them in? That is to ask, which are must haves vs really nice to have.

Thanks

Ward

3 hours ago, Laxman2809 said:

I would to hear about your guys expirience with the SCCD and the DBOS. I purchased both and am curious if you find them useful.

They both work great. 

My favorite is the SCCD combined with the ejector. You will need to calibrate it to the case you are loading and then when those nasty 380  or 38 special cases show up (assuming your loading 9mm), thee ejector launches them into the bucket.

I also love the pocket probe. Occasionally a ringer or sucked back primer happens and zing, off it goes to the bucket. 

In order of priority:

SCCD and Pocket Probe should not be considered options, they really are a must have.

Case ejector a highly need option.

Edited by HesedTech

10 hours ago, warpspeed said:

If you were going to get the various sensors one at a time, what order would you get them in? That is to ask, which are must haves vs really nice to have.

I would definately get the DBOS first.  This sensor detects and stops the press (when properly adjusted) when a bullet topples, is upside down, or missing.  Saves components and keeps from creating a mess.  I would also strongly suggest process the brass first and add The Judge die in that process.  These two, and of course the Berdan sensor, are IMHO must haves.

Edit: If/when you process, definately add the primer pocket probe.  It will detect pull backs, ringers, etc.  Another must. 

Edited by GregJ

2 hours ago, GregJ said:

I would definately get the DBOS first.  This sensor detects and stops the press (when properly adjusted) when a bullet topples, is upside down, or missing.  Saves components and keeps from creating a mess.  I would also strongly suggest process the brass first and add The Judge die in that process.  These two, and of course the Berdan sensor, are IMHO must haves.

Edit: If/when you process, definately add the primer pocket probe.  It will detect pull backs, ringers, etc.  Another must. 

11 hours ago, HesedTech said:

They both work great. 

My favorite is the SCCD combined with the ejector. You will need to calibrate it to the case you are loading and then when those nasty 380  or 38 special cases show up (assuming your loading 9mm), thee ejector launches them into the bucket.

I also love the pocket probe. Occasionally a ringer or sucked back primer happens and zing, off it goes to the bucket. 

In order of priority:

SCCD and Pocket Probe should not be considered options, they really are a must have.

Case ejector a highly need option.

Don't worry I went all out. 

I have the extractor, the Judge, the SCCD, DBOS, primer probe, PSTL powder, primer, home switch relocation kit. 

How hard/easy is the setup for dbos and sccd. I know you have to get the numbers, but is it easy enough to do for mulitple calibers? I reload a bunch.

Im just getting it all setup now, unfortunately the RL1050 I bought is an older model and the press geometry is just slightly different that I needed AB to send me an adapter and a longer set screw for the drive plate. Will have to get something special for the home switch relocation kit as well. Just sucks waiting for it to arrive.

23 minutes ago, Laxman2809 said:

How hard/easy is the setup for dbos and sccd. I know you have to get the numbers, but is it easy enough to do for mulitple calibers? I reload a bunch

Mark/Immortobot has videos for how to adjust both.  To me, the DBOS is easier to get set up than the SCCD.  Join the Ammobot Facebook page, lots of great support there. 

4 hours ago, Laxman2809 said:

How hard/easy is the setup for dbos and sccd. I know you have to get the numbers, but is it easy enough to do for mulitple calibers? I reload a bunch.

4 hours ago, GregJ said:

Mark/Immortobot has videos for how to adjust both.  To me, the DBOS is easier to get set up than the SCCD.  Join the Ammobot Facebook page, lots of great support there. 

This ^^^^

I occasionally bump the sensor(s) and need to readjust them and it just takes seconds once you know how. Very easy.

@GregJ My EGW-U dies showed up (along with a bunch of other cool stuff EGW makes)  They were just straight up LEE dies no EGW branding at all.  NO worries as long as they work. 

My question on your set up, you run a regular resizing die, then the U die?    Why not just the U die after the decapping and judge? 

9 hours ago, helocat said:

@GregJ My EGW-U dies showed up (along with a bunch of other cool stuff EGW makes)  They were just straight up LEE dies no EGW branding at all.  NO worries as long as they work. 

My question on your set up, you run a regular resizing die, then the U die?    Why not just the U die after the decapping and judge? 

I will be running Lee U Die then Judge. Pocket Probe on Pass One then Swage when loading. 

11 hours ago, helocat said:

Yes, it a Lee die reworked by EGW to make it undersize, from what I recall.  Lee - EGW, same thing when referencing it as undersize die.   It should say somewhere in the instructions, or maybe a stamp on it, that it is a U die. 

I assume you mean what my setup is for processing. Below is how my processing head is set up.

#2 - Lee Universal Decapper die with Berdan primer sensor

#3 - The Judge die with sensor

#6 - Dillon sizing die minus decap pin.

#7 - EGW-U die

I use the standard Dillon sizing die just to reduce the amount of stress on the EGW-U die.  Probably an insignificant amount, and probably unnecessary, but it works for me.  And yes I lube my brass when I process it.  

Edited by GregJ

• 1 month later...

I know this topic was mainly about sensors, but I'd like to chime on one portion of the OP:

I would not use one of the "off-loading" funnel/hose/5-gallon bucket combos, for this reason:  If you get about three quarters of the way into a bucket and something goes wrong, that is a huge "lot" of ammo that is now questionable.  (Yeah, I know... the sensors are there to alert you to "something going wrong", but I believe in Murphy.)

I still use the Akro-bins.  I will let it fill about one-third to one-half full, then I pause just for a second and check everything out.  If it all seems normal, I'll dump that bit into the tub to await gauging on the Hundo.

This way, if something is amiss or even the slightest bit suspicious, I only have a couple hundred rounds that have to go into the "practice only" bucket.  Everything else can be used for anything from practice to the Nationals to re-sale (Yeah, I am a Type 06/07 FFL, so it's legal.)

Those things don't happen much, but when they do, it's a painful lesson to learn.