Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon RT1500 case trimmer setup?

Looked for info on setting up the RT1500 case trimmer and not much to chose from. The Dillon video states to setup the trimmer die same as a regular resizing die.  Total amount of info provided.  Normally a resizing die starts with screwing the die down until it makes contact with the shell plate. Problem is, station #3 and #4, typical location for trim motor have the pins installed and the trim dies solidly hits the pin heads. Other than removing the pins what are others doing for their setup?

What press? On my 550 I run it sizing in 1 and trim in 3 and that's it, haven't used it in my 650 yet. Set the site like started then size a piece of brass and run it to trimand lower the motor (off) until light contact tighten up and lower then turn on and run case in take measurement. Slowly lower until you get your desired length.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

XL650 press, station #4

Set up the trim die like a regular resizing die, removed the pin and screwed the die down until it made contact with the plate. Liberally lubed up a small batch of 223 cases and ran the first case into the die. Case stuck so bad it broke the case rim sides off where it was locked into the shell plate. Didn't think I was going to be able to get that case out of the gauge but finally succeeded. Tried again with the die set above the pin and worked down until end of case projected through the die. This seemed to work

Have the little plastic tabs from Inline Fabrication installed on the pins. Never made a difference before trying to install the trimmer die. Good news is, setting the die at the top of the pin seems to work, when set deeper the case stuck. (Dillon case lube)

Any recommendation for where to get the hose adapter I see in the photos for connecting vacuum hose to the shroud?

I bought Home depot bucket head and the hose that comes with it seems to work once you pull the plastic off of it. The downside is this vacuum is loud. What size vacuum hose do you have. Depot sells  adapters for the ridgid vacuum hoses

Until you find what your looking for just slide it over the shroud and duct tape it on. The first time I ran the trimmer I did this and processed 6k 223 and it worked fine. I would suggest getting a silencer for your vacuum or using a pair of headphones

Lot of different ways to get to the same place but last night I worked on plumbing the vac and RT1500. Challenge was finding the right adapter to go from the vac intake to a plumbing line that would connect to the trimmer. Spent time wandering around Menards with my calipers until I found a 2-1/4" to 1-1/4" sink adapter. Couple wraps of electrical tape around the adapter as a gasket and fits perfect. 1" ID / 1-1/4" OD vinyl tube worked perfect as an adapter from vac fitting to tubing.

Dillon_Press05.jpg

Dillon_Press06.jpg

Dillon_Press07.jpg

Dillon_Press08.jpg

Dillon_Press09.jpg

Dillon_Press01.jpg

Dillon_Press02.jpg

Dillon_Press03.jpg

Dillon_Press04.jpg

are these joints glued? Because if not you could always pull it apart to clear a clog

Another thing you could do is setup the vacuum on the other side of the basement and run it through a cyclone lid into a 1 gallon bucket. you may have to make one but should be easy

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/mini-dust-collection-separator?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5rbsBRCFARIsAGEYRwczhsq9uawqASv1XI0QoOwshlF83us-MRnc6kbUPxrfNHr-bnHek_MaAuZWEALw_wcB

You could have bucket right at bench but not have to here vacuum as loudly or replace bags as often

For my setup the joints are glued but done in several sections connected with unions. I used smooth PVC so I wouldn't have the corrugations of flex tubing so everything is smooth from the trimmer to the vac. Also, by reducing the size of the tubing from the vac to the trimmer the volume stays the same but the volocity increases which creates more suction at the trimmer head.