Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing pin cushion for home made dummy rounds

jaded in cali

Revolver reloads and dry fire are an essential part of training with a revolver.  I've been using commercial snap caps, but they lack both the correct weight and the durability for continuous practice.  Paloverde Gun Works makes correct weight snap caps, with a lead bullet and a brass case for...$5.00 each.  Has anyone tried to make their own? 

Investigating possible firing pin cushions for the primer pocket, several varieties of plastic rod are available in 3/16" (0.1875").  Spec for  the small pistol primer pocket is 0.1745".  Seems to me one should be able to make firing pin cushions for home-made dummy rounds, either take a little off and glue them in place or heat soften them and press them in.

Wondering if anyone has tried this.  Which plastic did you use?  Where did you source it?  What was your installation procedure?

Thanks in advance.

--j

I simply take fired rounds- clean and load them with berry's 158g plated.  Also crimping the s**t out of them.  I did load them on a single stage press I've got without the decapping pin.

I need the plated to as coated doesn't last long before you are shaving lead over your house.  AND I discovered a live round (left in the dry tumbler) when I had to re-tumble the dummy's that I used during a training session and got dirty.  Pretty easy when the dummy's are shiny copper verses the multitude of colors of ibeijeebees we shoot. 

The berry's 158 are the closest in shape and weight to the 165grs I use for live fire.

Edited by MikeyScuba

Silicone in a tube is what I use. It's best to work it in with a toothpick because of the air pocket. Otherwise you get a bubble.

Drilling a small hole in the case is a great idea and would eliminate the air pocket. I let it sit overnight and then use a razor blade to trim off the excess silicone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk