Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which SBR upper

apetrulis01

Ok, since my agency won't issued SBR uppers I have to get one and I am finally going to break down and do my form 1 paperwork. Another Deputy e-filed and got it back in 12 days.

Anyways, so which upper should I go with:

- Looking between 10.5 and 11.5 inches

ANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDD GO!

Thanks,

Adam

I recently did a demo day with the fn military and law enforcement reps for my region. He said the 11.5 is their best seller in that area.  Stating improved performance and the ability to use a 10 inch rail while keeping your hand away from the muzzle.  Being able to attach stuff to the rail etc. 

i happen to like the 10.5 but I don’t depend on it for my life

Love the 10.5 for certain applications but... I need a hand stop or my fingers can creep too far on a 9” handguard (6’ with average wingspan) and ballistically it’s pretty terrible compared to 11.5”.  Ballistics of expected round  is where I’d focus on my decision. How far will you actually need to engage with this? 

If your’e keeping things close quarter I think I’d go 10.5” again. 

If if there’s a chance for longer range engagement go 11.5” for the extra energy at range (and the extra inch if handguard is perfect for me). 

Im assuming 5.56? in that case I would go with (and did) the 11.5". I chose a BCM for my SBR. It has been 100% reliable. I did considerable research on the subject as well as talked to the techs at BCM and came to the conclusion it is the best length for insured reliability in an SBR. Thats not to say the shorter 5.56 bbl can't be made to run, its just that often issues of reliability come up with many of them.

11.5 if you're urban, 12.5 if you're rural. Do not go under 11.5, for so many reasons. Less reliable, advanced gas port erosion, poor ballistics, etc.

Make sure to start a form 4 on a suppressor too. The concussion out of the shorty guns is severe. Your ears will bleed if you ever engage without ear pro. Even with a suppressor, 5.56 is not hearing safe.

For a duty SBR, you simply can't do better than a Knights SR15 CQB 11.5 Mod 2. Unparalleled, but pricey though. A very good budget option are the Match Grade pre-built uppers from DSG arms. they also offer duty grade oh, but don't be swayed by then, they are lower quality parts.  I won a major Run N Gun match using one of their match-grade 16in uppers. Runs beautifully, sub MOA. The match was so muddy I literally got into the shower with my rifle after but it never skipped a beat.

Edited by ClangClang

10.5” upper for sure IMO. My brother is LEO and we just assembled a shorty for him to use on patrol. He has permission from the chief to use it as an “SBR” Without getting the stamp apparently, but he’s throwing a SBA3 on it so he can take it places without worrying about the hassle.

Ballistic Advantage barrel
Anderson complete lower
Anderson upper
Strike Industries FA and dust cover
Anderson BCG
Aim sports 10” Keymod handguard
Strike Industries venom flash hider

Awesome gun, shoots great. Loud little bastard though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently purchased a Faxon 5500 and put an Atlas S handguard on it. I love how lightweight it is with the pencil barrel and would love to do a SBR variant. Can I run a 11.5 pencil barrel with their lightened bolt or am I going to run into gas issues? I'd be running a suppressor, but I don't have any experience with suppressors and the lightened BCGs.

Edited by Moloch38

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

BCM’s 11.5” is the cheapest / shortest setup I’d consider in an “I am betting my life on this weapon’s reliabiltiy” situation.

Run like tanks. Not priced too outrageously.

Thats why it was my choice. This thing just runs. This photo is without my suppressor of course, but even with it on its about the same size as a 16" AR without. 

BCM SBR.jpg

34 minutes ago, hitman_usmc said:

I've used a couple different BCM 11.5" ELW uppers for duty over about 7 years.  We used 64gr Ranger.  Never had any problems.  Would still be using them but was forced to switch over to our team guns.  

What kind of accuracy we're you getting. 

2 minutes ago, hitman_usmc said:

They were entry guns so I never shot it for groups like a precision rifle.  But I never struggled to keep everything inside the upper body box on the SEB target at 100 yards.  

https://shop.actiontarget.com/content/seb-swat-seb-training-target-q-scoring.asp

Ok. This is kinda going to be a do-it-all gun. Entry to possibly taking 200 yard shots. We have two college campuses, two open air malls and rural to urban in the county. Just making sure BCM can hold a decent group because doing research it seems it be hit or miss.  

On 10/2/2019 at 6:53 PM, apetrulis01 said:

How is the accuracy of the 11.5 BCM, I read it is spotty. We use 64gr Speer Gold dot as a duty round. 

I have no issues with mine. We were issued LE6920's and they had 16" barrels. I was very involved with the training dept and had the opportunity to sight in and test many that we had. They typically would do 2"-3" at 100yds. My 11.5 BCM is pretty much the same. Its not a DMR by any means, but is no less accurate than anything else in its class. I just had a chance to hit the range for some comparison between my personally owned LE6920 16", 11.5" BCM and my 3-gun AR with 18" WOA barrel. Heres some average targets to view. The colt and BCM were just about identical at about 2" to 2-1/2" for every group I shot. My Game gun was 1". All 3 have 1/7 twist and were shot with my 75g Hornady recipe.

colt group.jpg

bcm group.jpg

GG group.jpg