Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transitions

Aforum55

Seems as though the top guys are making up not of their time in speedy transition. What are good drills to speed this process up? I assume you can only shoot as fast as you can see so is there eye excercises that aid in these drills? 

Thanks

I'm working on getting faster transitions. For me, I noticed I sometimes have a tendency towards "tunnel vision", where I get too focused on the particular target I am shooting and see very little else. As a result, I had to look for the next target, especially on trickier stages.

So what I am doing now is I'm working on being aware of targets in my peripheral vision so I can move more aggressively towards it. I particularly like shooting steel challenge type drills for this, using wide transitions. Dry fire works too.

There is a post by Michael Voigt on another topic (can't remember which one).  But, Michael

basically says that in doing transitions you don't need to be in the center of the next target

before you engage it.  I wish I could remember the topic; maybe it could be looked up by

going to Youtube and entering Michael's name, etc.  It was really good.......

Also maybe by entering Michael's name on the BE Forum, not sure how that works!

I have been listening to the ben stoeger pod cast and they talk about transitions on quiet a few of them and in the skills and drills book they have a transition drill. I am not sure how it works I am waiting for the book to be delivered, but I think it is worth looking into.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

There is a post by Michael Voigt on another topic (can't remember which one).  But, Michael

basically says that in doing transitions you don't need to be in the center of the next target

before you engage it.  I wish I could remember the topic; maybe it could be looked up by

going to Youtube and entering Michael's name, etc.  It was really good.......

Also maybe by entering Michael's name on the BE Forum, not sure how that works!

I just looked on Youtube and found the Michael Voigt video.  It's called "Field Notes"  #12.......

• 5 months later...

Transitions/sight picture... Recommendations from an Open Division GM.

Simple.  Have two metal plates.  Doesn’t matter the size.  No time limit.  No draw.  Present sights on one target.  Break one shot.  When shot breaks snap eyes to other target while gun is recoil transfer gun to the new plate where ur eyes are at.  Break the shot.  Now u have a black dot on each steel.  Repeat this but aim at the black dot.  Again no time limit.  So if the sights do not align on the black dot don’t shoot.  Drive the sights on the black and break the shot.  So you are working on transitions and accuracy.  Once you get that down, then increase the speed.  But again you are going for hitting the black dot.  This will do wonders.  Do this 15-20 yards out and 5-7 yards side to side.

• 5 months later...
On 3/17/2020 at 4:12 PM, cperazza said:

Transitions/sight picture... Recommendations from an Open Division GM.

Simple.  Have two metal plates.  Doesn’t matter the size.  No time limit.  No draw.  Present sights on one target.  Break one shot.  When shot breaks snap eyes to other target while gun is recoil transfer gun to the new plate where ur eyes are at.  Break the shot.  Now u have a black dot on each steel.  Repeat this but aim at the black dot.  Again no time limit.  So if the sights do not align on the black dot don’t shoot.  Drive the sights on the black and break the shot.  So you are working on transitions and accuracy.  Once you get that down, then increase the speed.  But again you are going for hitting the black dot.  This will do wonders.  Do this 15-20 yards out and 5-7 yards side to side.

and what would you consider to be a really fast time to hitting another bullet impact area at 15 yds, 5 yds apart?

On 8/23/2020 at 7:21 PM, faster said:

and what would you consider to be a really fast time to hitting another bullet impact area at 15 yds, 5 yds apart?

Faster

- 5 yards and targets semi close your splits should be almost the same across

-- 3 targets 2-3' apart at 5 yards 0.18-0.19 sec per trigger pull

- 15 yards and targets farther your splits should be the same , but transitions would be slower

-- 3 targets 6-9' apart at 15 yards 0.35-0.40 sec from target to first shot

Bottom line: Do it at your pace as you get comfortable, your speed will increase as well as your accuracy.

Edited by cperazza

5 hours ago, faster said:

is this .40 second to include the reaction time of hearing the buzzer? what about shot to shot time? Id think it would have to be down around .25 second to get the times some guys get on a spread of plates.

I kind of jump from 2 targets to 3 targets.  So I apologize, back to the original post.

The original drill, no time limit.  It is working fundamentals to the speed and accuracy.

If I was to time the drill for progress...(Note: USPSA size target easier than a 6-8" steel target):

1)  2 steel/USPSA targets / 5 yards / 1 yard apart

- Target speed: 1.5-1.9 sec /  transition ~0

- 1.54 sec Draw/first shot 1.0 / 2-4 shot .18

- 1.70 sec Draw/first shot 1.1 / 2-4 shot .20

- 1.86 sec Draw/first shot 1.2 / 2-4 shot .22

2)  2 steel/USPSA targets / 15 yards / 3 yards apart

- Target speed: 1.7-2.1 sec / transition ~.20

- 1.72 sec Draw/first shot 1.0 / 2-4 shot .18 / transition .18

- 1.90 sec Draw/first shot 1.1 / 2-4 shot .20 / transition .18

- 2.08 sec Draw/first shot 1.2 / 2-4 shot .22 / transition .22

*Note: As you practice the transition time will be less.  You can increase the distance apart or the distance to the target as you feel more comfortable.

**Note: PCC times should be faster.

My 2 cents!