Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol or W231 for BBI 125?

GregJ

Just got a new batch of 125gr BBI as I finished up all my Zero 124gr RN.  My load for these was 4.4gr W231, mixed brass, Fiocci primer, 1.100, and about 134PF out of a CZ S2 in CO. I also need more powder, so I thought if I was going to switch, now would be a good time.  Read a lot of good things about  SP,  but nothing that indicates if it would be a better powder than W231 (cleaner, softer, etc).  W231 is a great, versatile powder, and I also use it when I occasionally load 45ACP/SS as well. 

The BBI 125s OAL plunk tests to about 1.12 OAL  in my S2 and 75 barrels.  To get them to not stick in my EGW gauge, I need an OAL of about 1.095, so I will begin my load testing with this.

:cheers:

I used to used Win231a lot for my shadow 2, TSO, x5 and MPX until I switch over to Sport Pistol at the beginning of the year. Sport pistol is cleaner and cheaper than win231. It’s also more consistent with the bullets I used namely BB 124 RN, Acme 124 RN & TCFP, RMR 124   Match winners and PD 124 JHP. 

Just got a new batch of 125gr BBI as I finished up all my Zero 124gr RN.  My load for these was 4.4gr W231, mixed brass, Fiocci primer, 1.100, and about 134PF out of a CZ S2 in CO. I also need more powder, so I thought if I was going to switch, now would be a good time.  Read a lot of good things about  SP,  but nothing that indicates if it would be a better powder than W231 (cleaner, softer, etc).  W231 is a great, versatile powder, and I also use it when I occasionally load 45ACP/SS as well. 

The BBI 125s OAL plunk tests to about 1.12 OAL  in my S2 and 75 barrels.  To get them to not stick in my EGW gauge, I need an OAL of about 1.095, so I will begin my load testing with this.

:cheers:
I recently switched from titegroup to WST with ibejiheads and it's def softer making the same power factor. loading 4.8 grains @ 1.205 OAL and making 169-170pf out of a 5 inch KKM barrel

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

recently switched from titegroup to WST with ibejiheads and it's def softer making the same power factor. loading 4.8 grains @ 1.205 OAL and making 169-170pf out of a 5 inch KKM barrel

I have a metric butt- load of WST on hand (used to shoot SS), but I was trying to avoid its temp sensitivity. 

I use WST and recently SP for coated in 9mm. They both seem similar. Had a velocity drop with WST and a recent level ll. I think they left the rounds right out in the sun. I'm going to use SP for big matches. Love WST, been using it for decades.

On 9/18/2019 at 5:34 PM, Rnlinebacker said:

I recently switched from titegroup to WST with ibejiheads and it's def softer making the same power factor. loading 4.8 grains @ 1.205 OAL and making 169-170pf out of a 5 inch KKM barrel

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Those sound like .45 ACP numbers...

On 9/19/2019 at 10:05 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've been using WW231 since the Civil War - never tried anything else - WW231 is pretty good -

possible that something is better -  when I run out of my 1989 supply, I'll try something else.   :) 

Well you have me beat I've only been using it since WW1...Kirb

I bought 16 lbs of HP38 some time back but never used it as N320 became available shortly thereafter.  Then, like a dummy, I switch to SP: great powder, but I still have the HP38.  After I use up my current 8 lb. jug of SP I'm going to start on the HP38.  Shooting very soft steel challenge loads can imagine HP38 to be much dirtier at the end of a 500 round practice than what I see from SP.   The SP soot does clean up easily.

OK...  

Powder Valley was 1/2 price on hazmat and I needed some primers.  While there I noticed Alliant had $2 per pound rebate if you ordered 4 ponds or more so I ordered an 8lb jug of Sport Pistol I hope it’s as good as everyone says. I’ll save the W-231 for my 45 ACP loads. 

I got that notice too but they didn’t have CCI SPP in stock.

I was going to do a price comparison between them and Powder Valley because it’s usually cheaper at PV even with Brownells discount but they didn’t have what I needed so didn’t price check. Plus I had a $10 discount from PV for signing up for their newsletter I never used.  

But you can’t beat 1¢ hazmat!

Thanks for the heads up on the CCI primer rebate. Saved more money!

Edited by Cowboy1629