Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Rwnge bag carry on

B_RAD

Anyone carried there's on?  It seems to measure a little larger than the sizes I've found for carry on but I seem to remember there actually being a thing that you put it in to see if it fits?  It should fit.  Though, I don't really want to find out at the gate. I guess they'd just check it at the gate if it's too large? I've flown quite a bit in the past but never had a bag that was an issue or close to it. 

Thanks. 

If you get randomly selected for extra screening and they rub the little patch on it that tests for explosives...

...see where I’m going with this? [emoji6]

It’s won’t pick up a thing. Smokeless gun powder is a different chemical to what they are testing for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a mate that uses his range bag as carry on all the time. I prefer not to but only because it’s a PITA to make sure that you’ve taken out all the things that would normally be in there that you can’t take on a plane. Too much chance for a stray round to ruin your day.

3 hours ago, Matt1 said:

It’s won’t pick up a thing. Smokeless gun powder is a different chemical to what they are testing for.

the new test must be much better than when they first started swabbing bags after 9/11.   I flew from Pittsburgh to Denver for a snowboard trip and was pulled out cause my bag flagged residue and they wanted me there when they went thru it.  this was my snowboard bag that could only have hand transfer in it as I never put guns in it or near it.

4 hours ago, Matt1 said:

30 minutes ago, clawson2011 said:

the new test must be much better than when they first started swabbing bags after 9/11.   I flew from Pittsburgh to Denver for a snowboard trip and was pulled out cause my bag flagged residue and they wanted me there when they went thru it.  this was my snowboard bag that could only have hand transfer in it as I never put guns in it or near it.

Well used range bags will ring the explosives test alarm.  BTDT about once a year, wash it and good to go for another year or so.   I suspect it's not so much burnt powder residue as the round with no primer that leaks unburned powder out and that triggers it, being made with nitroglycerin and all.

Just now, shred said:

Smokeless gunpowder has nitroglycering in it and they od te

Well used range bags will ring the explosives test alarm.  BTDT about once a year, wash it and good to go for another year or so.   I suspect it's not so much burnt powder residue as the inevitable round with no primer that leaks unburned powder out and that triggers it, being made with nitroglycerin and all.

Makes sense but this is why I am now very cautious about touching anything after reloading or shooting then I always keep flying stuff away from shooting stuff.   Haven't had a problem since.   

Going to LoCap Nationals in Florida next month. I plan on stuffing my range bag into a duffel bag and checking it (won't be screaming "GUN" then). No ammo (will ship ahead of time) and my pistol in a locked case within. Second pistol in a second checked bag with clothes and such. I was thinking of putting my belt, holster, mag pouches into my carry on as those would be hard to replace quickly if the airline "misplaces" my first checked bag.

"But why not just use your carry on backpack for your range bag" Because I don't want to.

Thoughts on this?

Pistols in two separate checked bags is kind of annoying.  BTDT.  I check one bag with everything I need to shoot in it.  More often than not, if one of your bags doesn't make it, the other one doesn't either.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:31 PM, shred said:

Pistols in two separate checked bags is kind of annoying.  BTDT.  I check one bag with everything I need to shoot in it.  More often than not, if one of your bags doesn't make it, the other one doesn't either.

The DAA Range bag makes a perfect sized carry on. I've traveled with people that have done this before and never had a problem. Main thing: Before you pack it up to head to the airport, Empty it out and check it twice, or have your roommate give it a once over to ensure nothing prohibited is in there.