Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA Hayes Custom work, worth it?

Pickin

Picked up a RIA Tac Ultra 9mm, 3 mags and two cheap holsters ( race style and a level 2) for $800 off a friend.  Currently using a Gen 4 Glock 34.  Magwell and stippled.

With my practice and ability now I'm usually mid pack for 3gun.  I could work on my quad loads and a few other things, but not asking about that.

Would it be wise to invest in the RIA and have Hayes do it right or invest in another 2011? Going to start with the 'reliability package' and new sights.  That's $400 plus shipping.   Sell the RIA use that, the 400 and more after I save to get a true 2011?

Thanks

The RIA the OP is talking about is a double stack 1911; wide body Para frame, similar to an STI 2011...

I'd say go for it; have Hayes do the full monty. The "Race Ready" package with the slide cuts is where you'll feel the difference. Or just pick up the one I have currently listed in the Classified here.😎

3 minutes ago, kalaikanui said:

The RIA the OP is talking about is a double stack 1911; wide body Para frame, similar to an STI 2011...

I'd say go for it; have Hayes do the full monty. The "Race Ready" package with the slide cuts is where you'll feel the difference. Or just pick up the one I have currently listed in the Classified here.😎

If you'll take mine in trade and cash. Haha

Edited by Pickin
Added more content

39 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

Hayes custom has a decent set of videos on YouTube that discusses your question in detail. He is pretty open and honest about RIA vs 2011 

I've watched those.   He goes into detail about both.  Looking to see if anyone has first hand experience with both platforms.

Sorry for going off topic... but I just watched a video of Hayes Custom where he compares an STI DVC with a RIA with his custom package. 

The lack of accuracy kind of shocked me, actually.   Absolute s#!t groups at 15 yards! Wow!  

At 15 yards I would be pissed if my 2011 didn't shoot a 2 inch group all the time, off of my range bag. 

To be honest.... it should be able to do that at 25 yards..

Guys, am I living in a dreamworld or am I spoiled from target shooting with guns which can actually shoot groups?........

Edited by WFargo

For the same price you should look for the Dawson Precision tuned STI Edge, either the CRP or Super Tuned if possible. They retailed for $2000 on the site, and an amazing value. The Rock Islands look/feel/shoot like garbage compared to even a basic Edge out of the box. 

Having said that, you can also cry once and get an Atlas Titan with a PT Evo grip (my personal choice). 

56 minutes ago, mtruong said:

For the same price you should look for the Dawson Precision tuned STI Edge, either the CRP or Super Tuned if possible. They retailed for $2000 on the site, and an amazing value. The Rock Islands look/feel/shoot like garbage compared to even a basic Edge out of the box. 

Having said that, you can also cry once and get an Atlas Titan with a PT Evo grip (my personal choice). 

CRP or Tuned Edge  pistols have not been available for some time now but it definitely was a good deal if you can find one.

If all you’re going to shoot is 3gun then shoot it. I wouldn’t spend $400 on reliablity package, if the gun doesn’t run I’d get rid of it. Sounds like you want a 2011, so just get what you want. 

On 9/20/2019 at 9:56 AM, CHA-LEE said:

The age old question of “Do I dump money into polishing a turd or not”. The appropriate age old response of “Buy once, Cry once” applies. 

Agreed. The same goes for optics and mounts.

Once you dump $$ into something, you're married to it. 

On 9/20/2019 at 8:47 PM, Drbruce said:

Don't know about accuracy but I handled a Hayes RIA,  Trigger was great -  Very heavy ( which I like ) 

If you don't care too much about accuracy (guess you don't need fancy sights, either, then) 

and like heavy trigger pulls, you should be able to

get some really great buys out there.     😇     😂

26 minutes ago, Prange said:

Once you dump $$ into something, you're married to it. 

This is the truth.  Once you spend that money on it, its no longer an $800 gun & holsters but a $1200 one with a street value probably less than the $800 you spent.   Your $400 is gone completely & maybe more.  If it doesnt run consistently now, even getting your money back may be hard.  If you tell a perspective buyer it didnt run until you sent it off to get fixed... its likely to run off most buyers. IMHO, RIA is probably not a long term 1 owner gun for anyone that shoots much.   Its an entry level gun to find out if you like the platform.  Sadly if it doesnt run or perform, many people will blame the 2011 platform instead of blaming themselves for buying a cheaper version of said platform.   

I am not beating up on RIA specifically.  If you have 1 & it runs consistently & shoots 2" groups at 25yds after 25,000 rds with no rebuilds, good for you.  I am happy but I am saying odds of this are very slim.

I will give my opinion because I have a RIA TAC ULTRA FS HC 9mm. I bought it brand new... my first double stack 1911 and wanted to "try it" because I did not want to spend too much money.  When I  shot the gun the firs time,  it had multiple malfunctions, a little bit of frustration kicked in and then I decided to give it and extra love and care...complete clean and lube even though I had done it before shooting it the first time, but not complete.  A week later I returned to the range and the pistol ran flawlessly... and I fell in love. It was my first   double stack 1911 and I loved it!! I knew that this pistol had great potential so surfing the web came across Hayes Custom Guns.  The pistol was sent for the HCG package( I am not getting into the whole details of it but is pretty good. Go to the Hayes Custom Guns website and see its options) 

WHAT I RECEIVED WAS NOT THE SAME PISTOL!!!! It was beyond my expectations.  There is nothing about RIA on my pistol anymore.  It shoots as flat as any other more expensive gun.

The best part of the whole process? The crew at Hayes Custom Guns is AMAZING!!  They keep you inform, updated, and you will received a race gun that will take your breath away.  

It is known, as some of you previously mentioned, that some DVC pistols do not come as accurate as expected.  If I pay that money,  I expect reliability and accuracy...well, I got that FOR SURE, when I received my pistol from Hayes and FOR $1000 LESS!!

This topic could have 1000 different ways depending on your likes and needs. One thing for sure, you can run any match with a RIA, after the Hayes work, for a long time!! I am HAPPY with what I received and with the whole process from the beginning to the end.

**Just in case: I AM NOT AFFILIATED OR RELATED WITH HAYES CUSTOM GUNS.  I AM SIMPLY A HAPPY CUSTOMER THAT IS GIVING AND HONEST OPINION BASED ON A FACTUAL CASE**

Thank you guys.   

On 9/22/2019 at 8:04 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

If you don't care too much about accuracy (guess you don't need fancy sights, either, then) 

and like heavy trigger pulls, you should be able to

get some really great buys out there.     😇     😂

sorry,  very misleading in what I wrote.  trigger was great.  pistol is heavy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...