Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EDC x9

MacLethal

Ok, who has one??

What if any are the pros and cons?

Has it been reliable for you?

I’ve been drooling over one for a while so I figured I’d ask around and see what people have for an opinion on this model only. I’ve put hands on them but haven’t shot one yet. I really liked the way it fits the hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got one and have been carrying it for the past 5 months. Have about 3200 rounds through it so far with no problems. I didn't do the "2000 round challenge" but I did do minimal care for it in the beginning to see how it would handle being carried dirty.  I Iubed it once out of the box and again at the 1000 round mark. Finally cleaned it at 1500 rounds since I didn't feel like pushing it on my carry gun. 

Carrying it is no problem so far. It was made to be a 1911 style gun in the form factor and weight of a Glock 19. So if you've carried a 19, you can get a feel for what it would be like to carry an EDC x9. I will say the numbers are deceptive though. The EDC x9 should weigh more and be slightly bigger, but in practice I don't notice any difference. When I first picked up the EDC, I really was surprised by how small and light it was.

Pros are that it's a Wilson. I can't find any MIM or cast parts if that matters to you. Trigger breaks at about 3.25 to 3.75 lbs and reset is quick and short. If you've got arthritis or issues with hand strength you'll be happy to know this is one of the easier guns I own to rack. Its very similar to racking a HK in my experience. Just a bit of resistance in the beginning to unlock and then it's smooth and light all the way back. 

Machining is very nice and I have yet to see anything that would cause the long term reliability and longevity to take a hit. Barrel lockup and fit is very good. Slide to frame fit also is just right and I haven't noticed it getting looser. Overall the gun is just right imo in terms of how tightly fit the parts are.

There are some very nice reliability and modern enhancements. Getting rid of the upper barrel lugs is probably a good move for less surface area to accumulate fouling. Moving to a flat wire spring also helps lazy people out with their parts maintenance. Biggest upgrades I can think of are the external extractor and the dovetailed plunger tube.

So far I have only found two cons, and they are pretty subjective. First is the front sight is proprietary as far as I can tell and attaches to the slide like a Glock. Wilson does make different types of front sights but all are a little wider than I like. It's the same thickness as most tritium front sights (0.120" iirc?), But I prefer 0.100" or 0.090".

Second is the grip angle is ever so slightly straighter than a 1911. Not a huge deal but I can notice it and it bugs me for some odd reason. I notice it the most during dry practice when I push out with a 1911 and the front sight is high but don't notice it during matches or shooting.  I might try the large backstrap to see if that gives me a steeper grip angle someday. 

I opted for the rail version since I wanted a gun this expensive to do as much as possible. Most of my carry guns had rails and the bulk on the muzzle end was never an issue. I believe the nonrailed is the most popular one so if you want one second hand you'll probably come across those easier.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If you have any other questions just let me know.

I was just going to say, awesome details and review. The want for one is pretty bad, I knew it was similar to a G19 in size and used to have one years ago.. Gonna have to end up buying one I think. The rail would be a must have for me as I’d carry it regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh one thing I forgot to mention. If you are going to buy and want a stock version without any customizations, different finishes, or any other options, wait for a free shipping and 10% off coupon code on Brownells. I believe you can backorder it with the coupon code if it's not in stock too.

When I first started shopping around this was the best deal I could find on a new one. I've rarely seen a new Wilson gun discounted and 10% off was a pretty big dent that I used towards mags.

19 hours ago, juicymeat said:

Oh one thing I forgot to mention. If you are going to buy and want a stock version without any customizations, different finishes, or any other options, wait for a free shipping and 10% off coupon code on Brownells. I believe you can backorder it with the coupon code if it's not in stock too.

When I first started shopping around this was the best deal I could find on a new one. I've rarely seen a new Wilson gun discounted and 10% off was a pretty big dent that I used towards mags.

Thanks. I've been thinking of getting one. Have you noticed if you hand cycle your EDC X9 slowly do the rounds nosedive and then climb up the feed ramp or do the rounds go more straight forward into the chamber? Thanks.

10 hours ago, Gary1911A1 said:

Thanks. I've been thinking of getting one. Have you noticed if you hand cycle your EDC X9 slowly do the rounds nosedive and then climb up the feed ramp or do the rounds go more straight forward into the chamber? Thanks.

When I looked at it with a locked back slide, I figured rounds would go straight forward into the chamber based on alignment alone. 

But when I slowly hand cycle the rounds don't really nosedive, but they do hit the feedramp first then climb into the chamber.

• 3 weeks later...

Handled another one yesterday.

Perfect fit for EDC and 15 rounds.

Now PLEASE talk me out of it.

A. 3K and no division to shoot USPSA in. Limited Minor does not count.

B. Hard to get practice motivated if I am not competing with the gun.

C. Already have 55 guns that I can shoot Steel with.

D. 3K plus + 2 holsters+ 6 mag holders + 4 more mags

E. It is a lot of money when a Glock 19 also goes bang, just not hopefully as accuractely

F. It is still 3K plus plus see D.

thx

jon

1 hour ago, Matt1911 said:

You guys are ballsey using a $3k gun as a concealed carry piece. 

If you ever have to use it, it will go into evidence and who knows how long they'll have it, or if it will ever be returned to you. 

If you ever use your carry gun, won’t you want it to be the best you can afford to save your life?

Who cares if the gun cost $3000 if it saved your life?

18 minutes ago, geraldskip said:

If you ever use your carry gun, won’t you want it to be the best you can afford to save your life?

Who cares if the gun cost $3000 if it saved your life?

I'm just saying a Glock will do the same thing at a fraction of the cost, but if you've got the money, go for it. 

I'm just saying a Glock will do the same thing at a fraction of the cost, but if you've got the money, go for it. 

Yes a Glock will do the same thing for a fraction of the price, that’s a very blanket and obvious statement. This is a thread asking people’s opinions of them who actually own them, not who think a Glock will do the same thing..

Ok, this is getting off track.  

I just said you guys that are carrying that kind of hardware are ballsey. 

If that's what you choose to do, go for it. It's just ballsey. 

12 minutes ago, MacLethal said:

Yes a Glock will do the same thing for a fraction of the price, that’s a very blanket and obvious statement. This is a thread asking people’s opinions of them who actually own them, not who think a Glock will do the same thing..

9 hours ago, Matt1911 said:

if you think the glock is the same as a Wilson EDC X9, then you don’t get it. 

and that’s okay. Carry on. 

Mac,

personally, I’d go for a new STI Staccato P or even the DVC Carry over the EDC X9. I would rather have a gun with the exact same manual of arms as my other 2011s than have something different. 

if they came out with a “normal” EDC, without all the superfluous stuff, then maybe I would be on board. But right now I think you can get a better gun for less money in the STI’s. 

and I really dislike the X9’s fat trigger and tiny mags.