Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sandbagger123

Thin vs thick oil

i, like many have accumulated a good assortment of gun oil.  bought a bottle of lucas clp today.  when i used it  i was surprised at how thin it was,   ALG was the same.  my favorite has been weapon sheild  and fp 10.  they are quite a bit thicker and seems to stay where they are put. Break free clp and mpro 7 are thick oils also that i have 

So do you prefer a thick or thin oil ? i always thought a thick oil will stay in place and a thin oil will just drain away 

Really depends on how tight your gun is. Much like the engine in a car, the tighter the tolerances, the lighter the oil. If your gun is a little loose a thicker oil has room to move within those tolerances. If your gun is tight, a thicker oil will slow the slide and may cause malfunctions from the slide not cycling properly.

Field strip your gun and wipe ALL the oil off the frame rails and the tracks in the slide. Put the empty slide on the frame and check it for wiggle. If it doesn't wiggle at all, you need a thinner oil. I actually use Remoil on my pistols. Anything heavier will hydraulic the slide, unless I put only a drop on the front of each frame rail. Even then I can tell a difference in the way the slide cycles.

I've had the opposite experience.  One of my Open guns was tight and chrome plated.  I could only count on two stages before I'd get a stove pipe jam.  The only one that stopped that was Weapon Shield CLP.  I could run 300-350 shots before I had to relube.

I think I'll put some Remoil on a tight gun and see if it runs any smoother.

What Dranoel said is also my advise about cleaning the oil off and putting the frame & slide together

and see how tight they are and go from there.  I've never used Rem Oil, but I like Mobil 1 0w-20 or Weapon Shield.

Talk to your Gunsmith and see what his/her opinion is on the best oil to use.......

On 9/23/2019 at 10:45 AM, Sparky said:

What Dranoel said is also my advise about cleaning the oil off and putting the frame & slide together

and see how tight they are and go from there.  I've never used Rem Oil, but I like Mobil 1 0w-20 or Weapon Shield.

Talk to your Gunsmith and see what his/her opinion is on the best oil to use.......

The one with the highest profit margin for them?