Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting tired!

UpYoursPal

Does anyone have advice for combating dry fire muscle fatigue? 

Here's the situation: during dry fire, the weight of my gun (60oz) and the amount of repetitions (lots) fatigues the heck out of my shoulders and forearms -  So much so that I have to stop at around 20 minutes or my technique just goes to hell.  Currently I'm doing Steve Anderson's first 12 drills from "Refinement and Repetition", and I've seen great progress despite the fatigue.  However, I feel like I could be getting more training in if I wasn't getting so tired!

Definitely open to suggestions!

8 hours ago, George16 said:

Drink plenty of water to combat lactic acid buildup in your muscles. I do stretches in between my dry fire routine instead of stopping altogether to rest. 

Keep on doing it and eventually you’ll get used to it and build stamina.

How long have you been dryfiring for 20 minutes ?   As George mentioned, you should build up stamina just by continuing to dry fire - get up to 30 minutes in a few weeks.   :)

39 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

How long have you been dryfiring for 20 minutes ?   As George mentioned, you should build up stamina just by continuing to dry fire - get up to 30 minutes in a few weeks.   :)

Almost two months now.  I had to stop shooting of any kind for about five months this year because I was out of the country, and when I returned I changed my gun from a regular 2011 to this heavy boat anchor of a gun.

You lack muscular endurance.  It is time to start lifting weights and build strength/endurance in the muscle groups that you need for shooting. My Open gun weighs 60+ oz.  with 30 dummy rounds, it is ridiculous but I don't get nearly as tired as I used to 

^^^+1. You need to work on the muscle groups that are supporting your dry fire routine not just by dry firing but with a variety of endurance/strength work. Good for the brain too since boredom can set in with dry fire only.

2 hours ago, Balakay said:

You lack muscular endurance.  It is time to start lifting weights and build strength/endurance in the muscle groups that you need for shooting. My Open gun weighs 60+ oz.  with 30 dummy rounds, it is ridiculous but I don't get nearly as tired as I used to 

Agree.

Start with pushups and pullups (they make bands to assist) and go from there.

General fitness/weight training is important but you can also work in some movements that focus on the muscles you use when shooting. To do this, I will occasionally use a 10lb dumbbell that I grasp as close to a pistol grip as I can get and work wide transition and keeping the “gun” up when entering positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The list of exercises you could to do to improve strength is probably endless, but one simple one: every day, hold a 10 lb. dumbbell in your shooting position (with both hands) for as long as you can. Leave the weight in a convenient place, and repeat throughout the day. Time the exercise and watch yourself get stronger.

If you're tired after 20 minutes, take a break. then dryfire again for 10 mins or so. Give your muscles some recovery time and you can dryfire more and build strength and endurance in those muscles at the same time.

(but also do some other exercises, since the range of motion for shooting stuff is so small).

fwiw, i'm in pretty good shape, but I'm also getting close to 60. Often during a dryfire session my muscles start to tire or I get out of breath (I do alot of movement in dryfire), so I take a lap around the yard with dogs, take a drink of water, check on the tomatoes and peppers, and after 60 seconds or so get back to it.

Edited by motosapiens

I agree with gnoyesiv, if you can do 20 minutes with good technique, then stop after 20.  Do another 20 minutes

later in the day with good technique.  I think over a period of time you should be able to do 3 maybe 4 sessions

per day.  Better to do less time with good technique than more time with poor technique.  Keep a diary of the times

and any issues you had and good things you had.  I have 3 pieces of tape on my basement wall by my reloading

bench and use them for movement......