Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shopping for my 45th birthday

Excursion12

For my 45th birthday next year, I plan to get myself a nice full size .45. 

I know that I want some things, checkered front strap, mag well etc.

I am undecided on half rail or no rail.

For sure want a full size 5" steel gun. 

I am considering things like the Springfield TRP, Dan Wesson discretion and maybe even a Nighthawk if I can find a good enough deal. 

I have plenty of time to work it out and want to get something that shoots great and is a pleasure to own. Trying to keep it under $3,000. 

What do I need to watch out for that would prevent me from using this gun in single stack? I normally play in limited, but might want to try a single stack match some time.

25 minutes ago, 223to45 said:

Since you mention using in single stack.
Watch your weight, 43 oz max.
And no bull barrels.

Both reasons I cant run my TRP.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Good advice on the weight.  A steel frame 1911 gets there pretty quick.

Take a look at an Alchemy Prime Elite.  Rob is making some fantastic pistols and they represent an excellent value considering how well the features and craftsmanship stack up against Nighthawk, Guncrafter, and Wilson Combat.  Retail is $2995 and from your description it would be a perfect fit.  The high cut front strap feels great in the hand.  My Brimstone (CCO size) is more accurate for me than a few other Government sized pistols.

Alternatively, the market is very soft right now so a gently used pistol could make your budget go a long way.  I frequent 1911Addicts a lot and there  is a lot to choose from with a $3k max.

On 9/19/2019 at 4:37 AM, mjl said:

Highly recommend that you check out the BUL armory 1911s and 2011s.  They make an awesome 2011 for EDC which I never would have expected.

I have several 2011s, but will take a look at their 1911. Would you say they are close to Springfield or nighthawk in build quality?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 5:14 PM, Excursion12 said:

I have several 2011s, but will take a look at their 1911. Would you say they are close to Springfield or nighthawk in build quality?

Better than a Springfield, I'd compare it to the  Dan Wesson models.  I'd also say better than STI