Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P9 10-round Mag Problem

SteelCityShooter

I recently bought a factory 10-round full size M&P9 magazine for my M&P9 2.0 but loading the 10th round is a huge struggle.  Anything I can do to modify it to make adding the 10th round easier?

I realize the manufactures want to be sure you cant load more than 10 but 10 should be easier.   Suggestions?

I have taken the followers and carefully (with a flat file) taken off about 1/16" from the bottom feet, smoothed the edges and can load 10 easily. The exact amount may vary, test and fit your first one then measure for others. I overdid my first one and could squeeze 11 with effort (became my Barney mag + 10)

Take your mags apart and check the springs. I don’t know if they changed the design since I bought mine, but mine were 17 round mag springs in the shortened 10 round mag body with the super long basepad. I cut 2-3 coils off the springs. Mag loading got much easier, they could actually be seated in the gun, and there’s still plenty of spring tension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience has been a bit of both as mentioned in above posts. First I judiciously removed coils and then removed enough of the follower lower portions that would still allow spring contact. I even leveled off the center "knob" to make it even with the "legs".

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've filed off the follower's legs until the semi-circular arcs are nearly gone but the mag is still very tight for 10 rounds,.  I may try to shorten the center knob also.  I was wondering about shortening the spring since is seems to be just about coil bound with 10 rounds.  That may be next.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've filed off the follower's legs until the semi-circular arcs are nearly gone but the mag is still very tight for 10 rounds,.  I may try to shorten the center knob also.  I was wondering about shortening the spring since is seems to be just about coil bound with 10 rounds.  That may be next.

I wouldn’t mess with the springs. If you’ve filed that much off the legs maybe the block in the 2.0 mags is longer. All mine were 1.0 mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, ParaLarry said:

I wouldn’t mess with the springs. If you’ve filed that much off the legs maybe the block in the 2.0 mags is longer. All mine were 1.0 mags.

I haven't cut the springs so far. Also, I don't think there are 1.0 and 2.0 magazines, I believe they are all identical but maybe there are older and newer production.

Anyway, I called S&W's customer service and told the rep my problem.  He's sending me a new spring and follower so we'll see if that helps. Also it lets me really experiment with my old ones. 

I kept my mags which had the new followers loaded in my safe with snap caps for 6 months but nope did nothing to make loading easier lol

Passed them along to a mate and ended up sourcing some secondhand original mags.