Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legion accuracy

jpm2953

Anyone else struggle to find a load your legion likes? 

I need to play around with different weights. I can’t get a sub 2” group with mine at 25 yards off a rest. My standard X5 will so about a 1” group all day. 

Ive tried about 20 different loads with 3 different bullet manufacturers, different primers and different powders

smallest group was 2.2” and that was with .357” BBI at 1.130” 3.9gr Sport pistol. 

Worst group was 5.5” and that was a 124gr plated 4.4gr HP38

92DE396A-455B-4F73-AD98-0A6D5D49009C.jpeg

DC3A87F4-8E39-4653-8F5B-2295AEE671EC.jpeg

I just bought a Sig Legion X5 and installed a tungsten guide rod. I currently use a couple CZ Shadow 2's in CO and Production. Both have CGW bushing. Not very scientific, but at 20 yards on a USPSA target the headshot groups of Legion X5 were identical to the S2 groups. Putting one shot next to the other shot after shot using Magtech 115 grain 9mm. I got lazy a few years ago and quit reloading as i was finding cheap factory 9mm. I also ran some Remington 115 grain and Blazer Brass 115 grain through the Legion X5 with the same results. So i'm guessing it really likes the 115 grain. I was fully expecting to be underwhelmed by the Legion X5. But i was very impressed overall with it; groupings, trigger, weight, felt recoil. 

Edited by JGus

I bought a Legion new and long story short, it had accuracy issues.  Wouldnt get anywhere near a good group with 147s of different types and powders. Best group I had was 2" with factory 124. I called Sig and told them that Ive owned a 320 and a 320 x5 and both were pretty accurate.  The clown I got said I could send it in but the standard they use is 2" at 10 yards.  I laughed and explained that theyre advertising this as an ultimate competition gun and backing it up with shotgun birdshot accuracy.  If you send it in and it passes this high standard you have to pay for shipping and ammo.

Sig has constantly under performed - from the early Romeo 1 to the MPXs to this.

Also of note, I borrowed a buddys Legion and his X5 non Legion to double check everything - same result with different Legion barrels and slides.

My x-5's and RX will both shoot a golf ball size group with about any 124/5gr bullets at 25yds rested

with 147's about 2 1/2 -3   inches .  

I shoot C/O with them so actually like the quicker slide movement, more like an open gun!

FWIW

I shot my legion today and X5 with the legion tungsten grip. The X5 was more accurate for sure. Legion wasn’t far off by any means but it was noticeable. This is using Precision Delta 124g reman ammo. Got home, switched my press over from 9mm major, and loaded up a bunch of Precision Delta 124g JHP over N320 to try next. 

I don’t own this pistol but I did get to shoot one today. What a great pistol.

The owner was shooting 115 gr FMJ bulk ammo and the accuracy was pretty good but nothing to right home about.

I then ran some of my RMR 115 gr FP Mini MatchWinner’s through the gun and they were lights out off hand at 30’.

Load was 4.7 grs HP-38 @ 1.090” COAL

Chrono’d at 1177 FPS 9.7 SD / 30 ES

Another load with the same bullet is 4.4 grs Titegroup.

I didn’t get a chance to shoot that old in the Legion but it has shot great in every 9MM I have. It chronos out of my full size 9’s at 1172 FPS 18 SD / 56 ES.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first got my X5, I did not think it was very accurate either, although over time (1,000 rounds maybe?), it developed into an excellent shooting gun over time. My X5 Legion seems to be pretty accurate out of the box.

I have 2 loads that I shoot:

RMR 147 FN FMJ under 3.6 gr. Sport Pistol

RMR 124 JHP under 4.3 gr. Sport Pistol (I have an old load of this bullet under 4.1 gr. of Titegroup that worked well too)

Both of these shoot great in both guns. I don't see enough difference accuracy-wise between them to notice the difference.

I did put a Bar-Sto barrel in the standard X5, but it shoots about the same as the stock barrel. As I mentioned above, when I first got the X5, I was not really happy with the accuracy, so I spent the money on the Bar-Sto. By the time it got here and I had it fitted, the gun was shooting great. I compared both barrels from a rest, and there was really no difference that I could see. Before you do anything drastic, I would shoot yours for a while. As nice as the Bar-Sto barrel is in my X5, I am not sure it was money well-spent, and I wish that I had been more patient.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 5:03 PM, jpm2953 said:

Anyone else struggle to find a load your legion likes? 

I need to play around with different weights. I can’t get a sub 2” group with mine at 25 yards off a rest. My standard X5 will so about a 1” group all day. 

Ive tried about 20 different loads with 3 different bullet manufacturers, different primers and different powders

smallest group was 2.2” and that was with .357” BBI at 1.130” 3.9gr Sport pistol

Worst group was 5.5” and that was a 124gr plated 4.4gr HP38

92DE396A-455B-4F73-AD98-0A6D5D49009C.jpeg

DC3A87F4-8E39-4653-8F5B-2295AEE671EC.jpeg

Hit the range with my new Legion and couldn’t believe the groupings I was getting (more lack there of) as well.

tried factory 115, 124, 147, and 150 grain weights and 115 came out the best surprisingly. But I also found out about the 2” at 10 yards and am not excited by this.  

Hit the range with my new Legion and couldn’t believe the groupings I was getting (more lack there of) as well.
tried factory 115, 124, 147, and 150 grain weights and 115 came out the best surprisingly. But I also found out about the 2” at 10 yards and am not excited by this.  

See my post above ref 115 gr bullets.

In all my testing over the past couple months I’ve found 115’s to be the most accurate projectile in all my 9MM pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve Ransom rest tested my X5, Xcarry, and my Xvtacr2. All prefer 147g pills . All will shoot 5 round groups under 1” at 25 yards with the proper load. Try loading a Precision Delta 147g tcfp over 3.1g of titegroup. Loaded to 1.130”. 
I size using an egw undersize sizing die

expand in the 650 using a DAA powder funnel/ basically a m-die for the Dillon 

I then seat using a Redding competition seating die. 
no crimp

Without a ransom rest you are wasting your time “testing” anything. I’ve tried 124g jhp They will shoot around 2” at 25yards best I could get out of the 124s . 
side note: my XCarry is the most mechanically accurate of the bunch shooting just under 3/4” at 25 yards with the load listed above. I normally shoot 4 -5 round groups and average them to get these numbers

I have both the old X5 and Legion. The X5 definitely shoots a noticeably tighter group than the legion. Sig got rid of the pretension on newer guns because so many people didn't understand it and thought something was wrong with their gun. Seems it was noticeably more accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine really tightened up after I got the non-LCI barrel swap from Sig. I’m using 135 Blue conicals, .3555”. I bet I could get even more with a .356”. I have my X5 FCU with Gray trigger in it too, so that helps. 

Just picked up a Legion yesterday. Can't wait to get rolling with it. Thanks for all the info here.

I'll be using Titegroup. Have a variety of RMR bullets to work with: 115 FMJ FN, 124 FMJ RN and 147 FMJ FN. I'll give all three a chance over the winter...

I need to check the accuracy of the stock LCI barrel versus the Barsto I dropped in that was fitted for my regular X5. It swapped in no issues.  Shot a multigun match with the Legion and Barsto this past weekend and accuracy was good enough (for me) to make hits at 40 yards on C zone steel. 
With that said, I did order a semi-fit from Barsto and will see it it’ll drop in the Legion without any work needed. 
I was shooting Berry’s 147gr with 3.2 of TG. 

Does anyone have a link to the instructions for sending back the Legion for a barrel without the LCI?  I can't seem to find any info on it even after I Google it?

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, JGus said:

Does anyone have a link to the instructions for sending back the Legion for a barrel without the LCI?  I can't seem to find any info on it even after I Google it?

Thanks.

Call them. They will get it all set up for you 

• 7 months later...

A little update. The Non-LCI barrel is 10x better. This is a 20 yard off hand group. 125gr BBI with 3.9gr sport pistol and Rem 1 1/2 primers. 134pf. 

that circle is 2”. I’m well under that. 

2EB08122-F9BF-405A-B025-A818C0877C68.jpeg

On 10/14/2019 at 8:05 AM, Stavey said:

side note: my XCarry is the most mechanically accurate of the bunch shooting just under 3/4” at 25 yards with the load listed above. I normally shoot 4 -5 round groups and average them to get these numbers

My pieced together XCarry is my most accurate P320 as well.