Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rudy Project. design flaw and oversight

jeremy kemlo

So I was looking for a new pair of shooting glasses. I was at a level two match where there was a rudy booth set up. I tried on the Tralyx  XL that were recommended by the rep because I have a big head. They seemed great! They recommended the kit with three lenses clear to black, clear to laser red, and clear. They are they are photochromatic lenses. Tint looked very good in bright California sun! But here in lies the problem! Just about every shooter I know wears a hat. Once the glasses are taken off the table that are in full sun and placed under a hat........minutes later the tint is almost gone. I  tested them from a dark room where the lenses were clear to underneath the hat in full sun and then without a hat. Without a hat it darkes up very nicely. With a  hat on it only goes to about 20% of the darkening capacity. Which is not tinted enough for what you are seeing! Here’s the problem if you want an impact rated lens, Rudy  does not sell any impact lenses with tint  for these glasses that are not photochomatic. They only other lens they offer that has any tint to it is the multi caster orange which I know some people like but I do not like the bright red orange color and it is not impact rated. So the glasses that are marketed with impact lenses for shooting don’t work for shooting unless you are one of the rare few that do not wear a hat. They also do not work well for driving because the car does not let light in to darken the lenses.   Rudy project needs to make an impact lens that is not photo chromatic. They should also offer more than just one single color for an entire line of frames (tralyx xl) that is not photo chromatic At a retail price of $400 dollars you would think that there would be an option that worked better.  So it’s either lenses that don’t work with a hat or in the car or bright orange lenses that are not impact rated. 

There are no photochromatic lenses that will work with auto glass and in my experience photochromatic don’t get dark enough when it’s sunny and then if you go indoors they are stay too dark. I now have 3 lenses, dark, Amber prism for overcast, and clear for low light or dark shady lighting. 

17 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

There are no photochromatic lenses that will work with auto glass and in my experience photochromatic don’t get dark enough when it’s sunny and then if you go indoors they are stay too dark. I now have 3 lenses, dark, Amber prism for overcast, and clear for low light or dark shady lighting. 

When shooting I don’t like a super dark lens so these get plenty dark but not if wearing a hat. These were also the ones recommended to me by one of the  Rudy team shooters. You would think that they would make an impact rated lens for shooting in different colors that was not for chromatic.