Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do they use tablet scoring at the Nationals?

ysrracer

How many tablets do they use? I'm trying to see if we can use it for shotgun tournaments?
I dont think the program has a limit on number of devices it can use (I could be wrong) so basically if you can score a sport with it you can run a national or world level event with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The cranky old bastards in sporting clays have told me that tablet scoring can't possibly work because...

...pencils are cheaper, shotguners are too stupid to use tablets, tablets cost too much, pencils are cheaper, there's no wifi, they'll get dropped, they'll get stolen, they'll get wet in the rain, pencils are cheaper, they'll crash, there's no backup...

But they have no problem paying someone to do registration, manually tabulate the scores, manually enter the scores into http://app.scoringpro.com/public/tournamentresultslist.aspx

I have not checked recently, but Apple tablets had the programing to do shotguns but android did not. You do not want to get any wet, but they have been used successfully for a lot of wet matches around the country. The screen won't recognize your finger as well when wet. Sync them where you have wifi or use your phone as a hot spot, set a tablet at each station, when done with match bring them back together and re sync and you're done.

3 minutes ago, mchapman said:

I have not checked recently, but Apple tablets had the programing to do shotguns but android did not. You do not want to get any wet, but they have been used successfully for a lot of wet matches around the country. The screen won't recognize your finger as well when wet. Sync them where you have wifi or use your phone as a hot spot, set a tablet at each station, when done with match bring them back together and re sync and you're done.

Trust me, I get it, and I get how they work. You'd think I was telling these guys monkeys were flying out of my ass.

9 hours ago, ysrracer said:

The cranky old bastards in sporting clays have told me that tablet scoring can't possibly work because...

...pencils are cheaper, shotguners are too stupid to use tablets, tablets cost too much, pencils are cheaper, there's no wifi, they'll get dropped, they'll get stolen, they'll get wet in the rain, pencils are cheaper, they'll crash, there's no backup...

But they have no problem paying someone to do registration, manually tabulate the scores, manually enter the scores into http://app.scoringpro.com/public/tournamentresultslist.aspx

sounds like what the USPSA shooters were saying until they shot about 2 matches with practiscore, then they went to a match and had to use a pencil and were like "what are we in the stone age?"

At my old club we used Kindle Fire devices. I got them on a special around the holidays for like 20 or 25 bucks a piece. The aren’t as nice as the iPads we use at SUPS but they worked fine for club and level 2 matches. The only problem with the iPads in the desert is they tend to overheat, so you need to keep them in the shade on in a cooler when not scoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Ha ha, you funny guy Joe.

Not entirely joking. From what I know about shotgun sports, the demographic is a bit older. As an older person myself, I think we can all agree that older folks *tend* to be more resistant to change, and *tend* to be a little less comfortable with technology. Those things can be manifested as other complaints, such as "it's too expensive", or "the wi-fi isn't reliable here", but those aren't the actual issues. 

An additional issue us old folks may have is vision. it can be challenging on some devices and in some lighting conditions to really see reliably what is going on, but larger devices and better more modern screens have made this less of a problem for most.

11 hours ago, mchapman said:

I have not checked recently, but Apple tablets had the programing to do shotguns but android did not.

The "programming" is the same, just no one asked for Android support for clays and the clays shooting in iOS haven't got widely used either.

Guys in Utah created a new scoring site (and apps, well kinda) for bow shooting competitions. The shooting crowds are quite different between practical, clays (including trap) and bow competitions. The latter two also used to somewhat different approach to scoring competitions and there is a monetization aspect too, which the Utah guys are trying to piggy back on.

4 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

sounds like what the USPSA shooters were saying until they shot about 2 matches with practiscore, then they went to a match and had to use a pencil and were like "what are we in the stone age?"

You should see it now with the amg timers too.  I dont need you yelling the time at me I got this!!!!