Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resizing loaded 9mm

sweaver

Hi All,

I loaded a bunch of 9mm on a Dillon 650 when the sizing and de-capping die was not threaded down far enough so it was kissing the shell plate.   Now I have 300 or so rounds that won't case gage or feed.  I've since corrected the issue and am now wondering if I can remove the de-capping pin and then run the loaded rounds through the resizing die again so they case gage and feed.

Thanks.

The Lee facotry crimp die is made to work on loaded ammo and would do the resizing you need and may or may not affect the bullet sizing. I typically dont use mine for loaded ammo but I do use it to size down my 9mm brass for my revolver since it sizes down further on the case than the Dillon dies odes and makes the ammo chamber better.

I had this same question as the OP  earlier today but with .357 mag.

I bought a set of used RCBS dies and I found out there was a nick in the threads on the outside of the sizing die body, so the die wouldn't thread down far enough. 6 out of 50 wouldn't chamber.

So, good question. 

I also have some ammo (like 2% of batch) that does not fit into the chamber just after it is done (cmj bullets have size variations and rub rifling on the sides with 0,356 bullets or mixed brass I use reacts not so good to format). I fix like 75% out of that with Lee Factory crimp die. After that they usually fit into chamber

On 9/16/2019 at 7:43 PM, FALer said:

I had this same question as the OP  earlier today but with .357 mag.

I bought a set of used RCBS dies and I found out there was a nick in the threads on the outside of the sizing die body, so the die wouldn't thread down far enough. 6 out of 50 wouldn't chamber.

So, good question. 

Use a small 3 cornered file to remove the nick in the threads.

😀

Note: above mentioned Lee bulge buster die does not have 9mm in the list of calibers it works on/for:

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-case-conditioning-tools/lee-bulge-buster-kit

BUT both reviews mention it working for 9mm 😐

Edited by Kenstone

On 9/23/2019 at 10:54 AM, Kenstone said:

Note: above mentioned Lee bulge buster die does not have 9mm in the list of calibers it works on/for:

Did you read the links I gave?

As the next poster mentioned the Makarov die has to be used. 

16 hours ago, gm iprod said:

Not so keen on sizing die with loaded ammo. 

Yes it makes one a bit nervous pressing a live round up through then die, but the bulge buster never touches the primer or primer pocket. 

Respectfully, the information you are giving isn’t true. Use the Makarov die and it WILL break because it’s designed for STRAIGHT walled cases and Lee will NOT replace the Mak die when the carbide ring cracks using it on 9mm cases. Lee no longer recommends the Mak die to bulge bust 9mm cases, Care to ask how I know this is true? Been there, done that and I will not make the same mistake twice.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:28 AM, HesedTech said:

Did you read the links I gave?

As the next poster mentioned the Makarov die has to be used. 

Yes it makes one a bit nervous pressing a live round up through then die, but the bulge buster never touches the primer or primer pocket. 

Why yes I did go to both links, and watched the VID too.

The instruction for the bulge buster die at that link only mentions processing cases, all pics are of cases, not loaded ammo, and neither 9mm or 9mm Makarov are on the Factory Crimp Die Selection List.

Bulge Busting loaded ammo seems to be outside of the intended use as I see it.

Would not pushing thru a loaded round potentially seat the bullet deeper or have the bullet (other than a hollow point) pushing on the primer of the partially sized round ahead of it?

If you watch the vid at Youtube you'll see these same questions and more in the comments.

It's unfortunate the OP made 300 rounds before discovering the rounds would not plunk because of a mis-adjusted die but my advise would be to pull them and start over.

Not what you have suggested.

jmo,

😐

Edit: questions were rhetorical and need not be answered.

Edited by Kenstone

I see both 9mm and 9x18 (makarov) listed.https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011209519

I dont use a bulge buster but have used the redding version for 40s&w and do have a lee factory crimp die

the sizing portion is only about 10mm long. once the case is pushed in if the press was upside down the case/loaded round would fall out.

its not recommended to run live ammo through but it can be done.

3 hours ago, AHI said:

I see both 9mm and 9x18 (makarov) listed.https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011209519

I dont use a bulge buster but have used the redding version for 40s&w and do have a lee factory crimp die

the sizing portion is only about 10mm long. once the case is pushed in if the press was upside down the case/loaded round would fall out.

its not recommended to run live ammo through but it can be done.

Lee sells 9mm/9mak factory crimp dies but they are not on the list of dies to use with the Lee bulge buster die instructions.

Yes, Redding Base Resizing Die for 40/10mm/357sig sure, but none sold for 9mm by Redding that I know of.

😀

Edited by Kenstone

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 4:15 PM, HesedTech said:

If your issue is just with the base of the cartridge then use this combo and it will resize only the bases and not swage the bullet. 

https://leeprecision.com/bulge-buster-kit.html

https://leeprecision.com/carbide-factory-crimp-die-9mm-makarov.html

I followed your link but Lee state that you can't use these on a 9mm.  I imagine that's due to the 9mm not being a straight walled cartridge.