Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stovepipes

Rpope423

I’m shooting a Glock 22 with a sight tracker setup I shot my first major yesterday and used a friend of mines mags cause he had 3 with +5 TTI pads because I only had one mag with a +5 on it. 

first 2 stages everything ran flawless next 2 stages I had a stove pipe halfway through stages. figured it was a recoil spring so I changed it out ran fine for 2 stages then went back to stove-piping. Didn’t wanna change anything else out so I just dealt with it for the next 2 stages on my last stage I pulled my mags out and used them and it ran flawless.

Why would mags be causing stove pipe? I ran 1000 rounds through that gun in the last month and never had the first malfunction then all of a sudden I use different mags and have issues. Anybody got an input on how mags could do that 

1 hour ago, Rpope423 said:

I’m shooting a Glock 22 with a sight tracker setup I shot my first major yesterday and used a friend of mines mags cause he had 3 with +5 TTI pads because I only had one mag with a +5 on it. 

first 2 stages everything ran flawless next 2 stages I had a stove pipe halfway through stages. figured it was a recoil spring so I changed it out ran fine for 2 stages then went back to stove-piping. Didn’t wanna change anything else out so I just dealt with it for the next 2 stages on my last stage I pulled my mags out and used them and it ran flawless.

Why would mags be causing stove pipe? I ran 1000 rounds through that gun in the last month and never had the first malfunction then all of a sudden I use different mags and have issues. Anybody got an input on how mags could do that 

Not sure but the +5’s probably had stronger springs that were putting more up force. I guess pushing up on the case too much as it tried to eject?

That makes sense, it’s just weird cause the  mags I used run fine in his gun and it’s setup identical to mine as far as parts go

the mags I normally run are factory mags with factory followers only difference is Dawson +0 base pads on 2 of them and a tti +5 on 1 of them. 

Edited by Rpope423

Did you disassemble and clean every mag that hit the ground after each stage?  If this was at the Atomic Blast, several stages were quite dusty.  Even Glock mags are susceptible to dust.  Ask me how I know.  

Edited by deerslayer

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

Did you disassemble and clean every mag that hit the ground after each stage?  If this was at the Atomic Blast, several stages were quite dusty.  Even Glock mags are susceptible to dust.  Ask me how I know.  

It was atomic blast, and nah I didn’t cause well it’s a Glock lol 

did you shoot?

I had brand new Glock factory 22 round .40 magazines not feed consistently for me after they were dropped on dusty ground nine months ago. Ever since I disassemble and clean each one that has been dropped before I reload and move on to the next stage. 

10 hours ago, Rpope423 said:

It was atomic blast, and nah I didn’t cause well it’s a Glock lol 

did you shoot?

Yes, Lim-A 2nd.  What was it Ricky Bobby said?  Second place is first loser.  

Keep a mag brush in your bag and immediately scrub every mag that you drop.  I've had trouble with dusty Glock mags in the past.  

Edited by deerslayer

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I was taught, by GM's, that  "if the mag touches the ground, take it apart and clean it".     :) 

This. My understanding is that Glock .40 mags with TTI pads are particularly sensitive to grime. 

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

Yes, Lim-A 2nd.  What was it Ricky Bobby said?  Second place is first loser.  

Keep a mag brush in your bag and immediately scrub every mag that you drop.  I've had trouble with dusty Glock mags in the past.  

Yeah true gettin the basepads off are such a pain. That kid that won A class limited is an absolute hammer him and his brother. 

Yeah sucks getting beat by a guy who has to go home after the match and study for a spelling test tomorrow.  I would gladly trade him my glass ankle and cholesterol medicine for some of his youthful energy.  Congrats to the kid, though.  

I hear ya on the basepads--Arredondo is less trouble, at least on a Glock mag.  What little I've used TTI on a Glock mag seemed like it would eventually wear down the tabs on the mag tube if it's constantly off and back on.

I rarely take apart Glock mags to clean them and mags get very dirty here. Only take them apart if I hear a rock rattling around in one. That include .40 mags with TTI and Dawson basepads.

You can cut those tabs off the mag tubes if using TTI basepads and it wouldn't matter, the pin holds the basepad on.

4 hours ago, Southpaw said:

You can cut those tabs off the mag tubes if using TTI basepads and it wouldn't matter, the pin holds the basepad on.

The same point is true for other basepands where the inner plate round protrusion still locks into the small hole in the base plate itself. In other words when you have those tabs and the inner plate and basepad lockup, you have a belt and suspenders.

I may be the only one, but I think trimming the tabs off seems to save the “lips” if you will on the bottom of the magazine. The basepads are still locked in place until you depress the little nub, but once you press it that the basepads feel to me to go on and off easier and straighter. 

Edited by Helios