Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot 9mm Minor in STI Trubor 9mm Major

dstein

38 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

When my 9mm Major TruBor is Very Clean, and Very Well Lubed,

it will shoot 9mm Minor factory rounds.

But, a lighter recoil spring is a better idea if you're going to shoot

a lot of Minor rounds.   Feels like a .22.    :) 

Thank you!  Yeah...just bought it and even with the major loads the owner had, still had some cycling problems. Slide action did not feel as smooth as my Edge. I’ll strip it down and clean/lube it to see if it helps. 

19 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

What kind of problems, and how often ?

My TruBor has no cycling problems, at all, unless I need new springs.

Do you know what weight recoil spring you have in it ?

Stove pipe every round. Fired casing would not fully eject. Had to manually cycle to clear it. 

Factory spring, which I think is 9 #. 

9 minutes ago, dstein said:

Stove pipe every round. Fired casing would not fully eject. Had to manually cycle to clear it. 

Factory spring, which I think is 9 #. 

Easy fix. I'm assuming you have the original slide ride and mount. 

20190913_162037.jpg

Edited by echotango

Start with an 8lbs recoil spring

IF you're using factory ammo for minor, buy a box or each of the ones available in your area.

Generally one will function without buying a new scope and mount.

IF you still are getting stove pipes, get on Brazos 1911 sight and read how to adjust your ejector as far as the shape and do it

I suggest you do not shorten it for 9mm. Also adjust your extractor , if you have an AFTEC then polish the hook end of it

Generally 9's are more problematic than other open guns BUT can be made to run with out spending a ton of money

Worse case buy a .200 offset mount and the problems go away, still using your cmore sight.

If you want a small bodied dot by all means jump on that wagon, it works!!! 

Each brand of 9mm ammo has a different power factor (PF).

Some are humming along near PF 125 (Remington green box 115 gr, e.g.) and

others are closer to PF 150.   That's a huge difference.   You may be using one

of the rounds near PF 125.   Lightening your spring is probably the best answer,

but an alternative is to use a more powerful factory ammo.

I run a 7 lb. spring and 135PF ammo and have no issues.  If I try to go lower, I don't make it through an 8 stage SCSA match without hiccups.  BTW, unless you enjoy scraping lead out of you comp, don't shoot anything but JHP of heavy plate bullets out of it.  You can buy reman JHP from Everglades ammo and a couple of other places.  LAX Ammo sells new and reman ammo loaded with X-Treme plated bullets.  Do not buy the Blazer ammo.  The brass cased ammo is a copper wash and will lead your comp.  The Al cased ammo has heavier plating and may work.

4 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Start with an 8lbs recoil spring

IF you're using factory ammo for minor, buy a box or each of the ones available in your area.

Generally one will function without buying a new scope and mount.

IF you still are getting stove pipes, get on Brazos 1911 sight and read how to adjust your ejector as far as the shape and do it

I suggest you do not shorten it for 9mm. Also adjust your extractor , if you have an AFTEC then polish the hook end of it

Generally 9's are more problematic than other open guns BUT can be made to run with out spending a ton of money

Worse case buy a .200 offset mount and the problems go away, still using your cmore sight.

If you want a small bodied dot by all means jump on that wagon, it works!!! 

Thanks for all the different pointers!  Looks like there are lots of options to help make this gun ru well.  I appreciate your advice.

1 hour ago, coryf said:

On my trubor, I change to a 7lb spring, and make sure the gun is very clean and oiled.  It will cycle minor fine for 200-300 rounds before the occasional malfunction.  

Good to know!  Looks like I'll be ordering both a 7lb and an 8lb spring and try them both.

50 minutes ago, zzt said:

I run a 7 lb. spring and 135PF ammo and have no issues.  If I try to go lower, I don't make it through an 8 stage SCSA match without hiccups.  BTW, unless you enjoy scraping lead out of you comp, don't shoot anything but JHP of heavy plate bullets out of it.  You can buy reman JHP from Everglades ammo and a couple of other places.  LAX Ammo sells new and reman ammo loaded with X-Treme plated bullets.  Do not buy the Blazer ammo.  The brass cased ammo is a copper wash and will lead your comp.  The Al cased ammo has heavier plating and may work.

Thank you!  I want to shoot SCSA, so this is very helpful.  I am aware of the Everglades ammo.  Looks like it's really good stuff, especially for 9mm Major.  But holy cow...the cost!  🙂

1 hour ago, dstein said:

I am aware of the Everglades ammo.  Looks like it's really good stuff, especially for 9mm Major.  But holy cow...the cost!  🙂

I wasn't happy with their major ammo.  They load short and use a faster powder than I do.  Recoil was harsh.  I'd use it if I didn't reload.  I liked their 124gr minor ammo for steel.  Worked well, and not having to reload minor was a treat.

15 minutes ago, zzt said:

I wasn't happy with their major ammo.  They load short and use a faster powder than I do.  Recoil was harsh.  I'd use it if I didn't reload.  I liked their 124gr minor ammo for steel.  Worked well, and not having to reload minor was a treat.

Good to know.  Did you shoot their 124gr minor ammo in a Trubor?