Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My springfield saint won't chamber reloads

dickwholliday

I purchased a Springfield saint pistol yesterday  and of course went straight to the range....the pistol refuses to chamber my reloads and if by chance one does chamber you cannot get it out without going to extraordinary means......These rounds will pass the case gauge test as well as shoot in my RDB, Bushmaster and Delton upper on another rifle......i've been reloading for over 50 years and have never seen anything like this.....

In Springfields defense i ran 60 rounds of factory green tip and it ran flawlessly......any thoughts will be appreciated....Thx....D I C K

Well as much as I hate to admit it.....that seems to work.....I took a round that would not chamber, pulled the Bullet and resized it and now it chambers fine......

with as much ammo as I have loaded that runs fine in my 4 other rifles, my only option is to sell this one and move on or have someone recut the chamber.....

Had the same problem with one of my rifles. Almost pulled my hair out looking for the problem. Rounds all passes a case gauge. Everything from re-cutting the chamber to shaving the bottom of my sizing die. About the time I was going to toss the barrel I started having the same problem with four other rifles. Asked my smith about it and he nailed it first guess. My Dillon size die was just too worn out, specifically in the neck to shoulder junction area.

Evidently not..... there is no telling how many thousands of rounds loaded just like these I have on hand that will run through every 556/223 that I own......

ive been in touch with a rifle builder I know to get him to cut the chamber hopefully to cure this...

I may be wrong but won’t you loose the chamber coating? I know we’ve had uncoated chambers for centuries and it probably won’t ever hurt anything but it would bother me. It would also bother me to have to get rid of the rifle. Not a good situation. Good luck.

6 hours ago, AHI said:

Who maid your case gauge?

The reason I ask  I have a Wilson that ammo passes ammo that fails in a JP.

Not all case gauges are created the same.

Case gauges are usually made to what the max saami spec is while a chamber may be cut to minimum saami spec. And then your  reloading dies maybe cut somewhere in between and thus the issue that you are experiencing. You could use that cerrosafe alloy and cast your chamber to find the exact dimensions and find a suitable reloading die or have one made. 

Unless your  case gauge is made to minimum SAAMI spec, a round that passes it won’t necessarily chamber.  Buy a Sheridan gauge, JP Enterprises or Lyman Ammo Checker.  If your ammo passes any of these, it WILL chamber in your rifle.

Case gauge is a Dillon.......i'm sure they'd love to hear this story.....but i've had several others over my years of reloading that i'm sure gauged some of this ammo to be good...i suspect i got the dillon in a package of reloading gear i got from some retiring shooter......

here's a little more to this story.....went shooting today.....took 60-80 rounds loaded on another loader that i help a buddy set up.....started off with those and had no problems.chambered and shot fine....shot 40 rounds of the ammo that was giving trouble on my first outing...... no failures to chamber....they all went into battery...however they were sticky to try to clear so the ammo is still out of spec a little.....but maybe some of the issues on the initial outing was something that the continued shooting/break in has helped correct......

i don'tneed another case gauge....i'll just use this rifle LOL....thanks for the comments...D I C K

PS...did have something happen while i was looking for the case gauge.....saw an old can powder that looked rusty.....picked it up and it practically fell apart in my hand and powder had already run out of the other side.....guess that powder is ready for the trash

• 1 month later...