Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lower Receiver

jimstc

I have a complete upper: Bushmaster 20" HBAR bbl in a DPMS Hi Rider flattop with a Miculek comp and a Leupold Mark4 CQT scope. It also has no iron sights a DPMS 4 rail gas block and Clark carbon fiber free float tube.

My question is : What lower?? I have looked at Rock River and DPMS and the DPMS is about $90.00 more expensive. Is there a reason to pay more?Granted ,$90.00 isn't that much but I hate to spend more than is necessary.

Thanks,

Jim

Both are well made but I can't think of hearing about the Rock River 3 Gun Challenge or seeing Rock River sponsor a match (please correct me if I'm wrong). DPMS on the other hand .......

I have had nothing but success with any DPMS products that I have used but I've never had one of their lower receivers.

Both are well made but I can't think of hearing about the Rock River 3 Gun Challenge or seeing Rock River sponsor a match (please correct me if I'm wrong).  DPMS on the other hand .......

I have had nothing but success with any DPMS products that I have used but I've never had one of their lower receivers.

You are right. $90.00 is a small cost considering the support DPMS provides to 3 Gun. I guess I hadn't considered that. Ordering Tuesday. Thanks for the reality check.

Thanks,

Jim

Have not owned a DPMS so can't comment on quality.

HOWEVER, supporting our type of competition goes a long way in my book & I do recall seeing the DPMS sponsored 3 gun featured in Front Sight. DPMS has stepped up when we have needed them. Good choice.

Edited by Carlos

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard (unconfirmed) DPMS is the rebirth of an old company called Essential Arms.

You might remember Essential Arms, before the 1994 ban, they made cheesey light gray cast lowers.

If you go DPMS, make sure your get the forged receiver, the cast ones can break when you drop them.

I'd buy Rock River or Bushmaster.

If it ever was anything but DPMS it must have been along time ago, because the first time I got parts from them I went right into Randys garage to get them, and that was maybe 15 years ago.

As for the recevers they sell now I think they are all forged.

They were at a gun show a couple of weeks ago and I picked up a stripped lower for $80, didn't need one, but couldn't pass it up.

I have 4 DPMS lowers now, 2 with DPMS uppers, 1 with a JP upper, and 1 not sure yet.

This is my first post here, but I have been lurking in the shadows for years.

Uhmmm......EA is long time outa business I believe and no....never was DPMS....two completley different animals. I have several DPMS rifles, lowers, uppers, etc.

DPMS sponsors the USPSA, 3 gun......I would suggest that you support them as well. And when ya call them and order your lower.....tell them why you are buying it from them. Trust me, they will appreciate hearing that!!!

cut & pasted from ar15.com . . . .

" . . .

Essential Arms

All are Pre-Ban as they went out of business in 1993.(DPMS bought them prior to the Ban) Call DPMS Lower receiver serial numbers begin with EA. Some or all lowers are cast. Light gray coloring. It is rumored that Ruger investment casted the lowers for Essential Arms.

. . ."

http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/serialNumberList.html

I'm not hacking DPMS, I think there forged receivers are leaps and bounds better than the old Essential Arms cast receivers. . . and probably as good as any one elses.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=240982

pics of broken cast receiver....

http://img234.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gprifle0343ev.jpg

http://img234.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gprifle0333al.jpg

I'm pretty sure DPMS isn't making the cast receivers anymore, but if you see an old used one I'd pass it up.

Edited by Derek45