Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on s&w 1911 for uspsa ss

Happyfeet

Any thoughts on S&W 1911 for uspsa ss, are they reliable? Do they need a lot of work?
I have a friend who shot a Rock island and it ran reliably for 2 years and still does. Honestly though Springfield makes a great entry level Range officer 1911. the bushing and barrel fit is amazing for factory. very affordable. Also check Dan Wesson Pointman 9

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I had a S&W Pro Series and while it was a fine gun, it was hard to find sights to replace the 3 dot sights that came on it. Because it was going to cost so much to get it how I wanted it for USPSA and IDPA, I traded it and bought a Sig 1911 Max. My only complaints with the Sig are it doesn’t fit standard 1911 holsters and it is a Series 80 (same as the S&W)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I own an early S&W 1911. It was my first 1911. While it has been pretty reliable, I would not be likely to buy another. I have come to prefer internal extractors and Series 70 lockwork. I would look to Springfield Armory or Dan Wesson now. Or perhaps a used Les Baer. 

1 hour ago, Norther said:

I would look to Springfield Armory or Dan Wesson now.

Ditto.  DW if you are willing to spend that much.  SA if not.  There are bunches of SA 1911 9mm and 45 at my home club.  They all run, shoot accurately and cause no problem.  You have to shoot about 500 rounds before the trigger smooths out.  Or, you could do a little polishing yourself.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:50 AM, jc3257 said:

I had a S&W Pro Series and while it was a fine gun, it was hard to find sights to replace the 3 dot sights that came on it. Because it was going to cost so much to get it how I wanted it for USPSA and IDPA, I traded it and bought a Sig 1911 Max. My only complaints with the Sig are it doesn’t fit standard 1911 holsters and it is a Series 80 (same as the S&W)

I have a shooting buddy that has a Sig 1911 Max and he had the same issue with a 1911 holster.  So he tried the Sig in his

Kydex holster for his STI LDC 40sw Limited Pistol.  It works great, might give that a try.......

I have a shooting buddy that has a Sig 1911 Max and he had the same issue with a 1911 holster.  So he tried the Sig in his
Kydex holster for his STI LDC 40sw Limited Pistol.  It works great, might give that a try.......

Yes that works or DAA makes a holster PDR Pro II specifically for Sig 1911’s. Love that holster.

To shoot single stack, it will do just fine as long as you can get along with the sights as they are more limited in what you can use. I think dawson makes some but if not there are other people who make them, just more limited. I prefer an internal extractor for the looks mostly to be honest. Depending on your budget you can get a rock island and shoot the hell out of it, or spend dan wesson money and shoot the heck out of it, or go full custom. I have found that the range officer line is a very nice pistol for the money, but the dan Wesson's tend to be a step up in every way. Enjoy whichever gun you choose, and make sure to update the post!