Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun builder ?

Revofan

13 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

What would that cost, zzt ?

$1042 for the short block kit, fitted, timed and linked.  Slide can be Unique or Tri-toped for the same price.  Gans prices are posted on his web site.  They are reasonable.  His slide lightening charges are a little high, but the work is first rate.  The remaining cost is for the components that will go into or on the gun.  You could have a first rate Open gun with first rate parts for under $3500.  That assumes you don't go nuts with the cosmetics and slide lightening.

If I were starting from scratch, that's what I would do, except I would have Gans do only the machining.  I did essentially the same thing on my last build, except nothing was final fit.  I had JEM Guns build a short block using a custom comp cut Trubore bland and their frame and slide.  The slide to frame fit was a light interference fit, and there was and extra .0015" left on the lower barrel lugs to allow for final fitting of the lockup.  I don't have a mill, so I farmed out all the machining.  Everything else I fit by hand.

Warwick does all of that for you.  Slide to frame fit has clearances of .0003" to .0004" and parallelism to within .0005".  Barrel is timed and uses their proprietary link.  Instead of the usual five links to choose from and modify, they have 27 different sizes, so the timing is perfect. 

Edited by zzt

2 hours ago, Revofan said:

How about cheely E2 grip in aluminum?

An excellent grip.  It fits frames machined for plastic grips like a glove.  So does the SS.  I agonized over Al vs. SS.  I handled them both and decided on SS.  The extra weight makes a huge difference in feel.  With the Al the gun is nose heavy.  Even though the gun is lighter, it feels a little like swinging a log.  The balance on the SS is right over my left index finger and it swings great.  I love it for steel challenge where your transitions can be extreme.

Edited by zzt

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 11:46 AM, Trentmopar said:

Look into Blackdog Gunworks.  Can't remember his name but I belive he has a facebook page and his guns are incredible.

I believe he has stopped making guns. I saw a post from him awhile back about not doing it anymore. 

• 3 weeks later...