Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun builder ?

Revofan

Looking to build a shorty open gun for steel Challenge to run minor and sub minor loads 

I have an M2i shorty steel gun that I love and use for knock down steel and mite build a twin but I want to maybe try another builder 

who would you recommend and why ? 

6 minutes ago, Descartian said:

I’m the wrong guy to answer this.  I’m 0 for 4 on gunsmiths lately with a build with another smith that hasn’t been delivered with an original completion date of May. 

Whomever you use, good luck. 

Sorry to hear that !

and thank you 

I’ve had Dan Bedell of Bedell Custom build me  Limited, Open  and Single Stack pistols. Each gun ran from the start. He’s very easy to work with and is one of the top gunsmiths in the country. You wouldn’t be disappointed if he built you a gun. 

32 minutes ago, dapribek said:

I’ve had Dan Bedell of Bedell Custom build me  Limited, Open  and Single Stack pistols. Each gun ran from the start. He’s very easy to work with and is one of the top gunsmiths in the country. You wouldn’t be disappointed if he built you a gun. 

As dave said, dan bedell is a great guy... you wont be disappointed 

2 hours ago, Revofan said:

Looking to build a shorty open gun for steel Challenge to run minor and sub minor loads 

I have an M2i shorty steel gun that I love and use for knock down steel and mite build a twin but I want to maybe try another builder 

who would you recommend and why ? 

Another member has an STI DVC-S in the Classifieds if you're looking for something now

I run AKAI guns. There are several builders out there. Everyone is going to have an opinion based on things they have heard or personal experience with a builder. AKAI has been awesome to work with and quick to respond. 

I have shot several custom built guns by other builders, none were bad, but the AKAI to me was the best. So I ordered one...or two..or..lol!!

11 minutes ago, TRPOperator said:

I run AKAI guns. There are several builders out there. Everyone is going to have an opinion based on things they have heard or personal experience with a builder. AKAI has been awesome to work with and quick to respond. 

I have shot several custom built guns by other builders, none were bad, but the AKAI to me was the best. So I ordered one...or two..or..lol!!

I have heard good things about akai as well but never have had a chance to play with one 

what’s there turn around time ?

I run Akai as well.  I have 2 of their open guns.  The one I had built took 7 months.  I also bought one that an Akai team member had used for a season so the turnaround was just sending a check.  They generally have a small inventory, but may not have what you are looking for ready.  There are other great builders, but I have personally been very happy with Akai.

I build my own guns, but farm out the slide lightening and machining.  I don't have the patience to wait 7 months for a custom gun, nor am I willing to pay an inflated price for a 'Name'.

The quickest way to get a custom gun that runs 100% from the start is as follows.

Order a short block kit from Warwick Tactical.  They sell frames, slides and short block sets to a number of custom builders with 'names'.  Order it with their standard Barsto barrel threaded to 11/16x40.  Have them tri-top the slide if you like.  no additional charge.  If you want to go with a cone comp, order a threaded bushing barrel.

Buy the rest of the components you want to go into the gun and send everything to Gans Custom Guns/Gans Enterprises.  Tell him what you want and you will have a fully custom gun back in about 3 weeks.

Edited by zzt

Just had my 3rd gun done by Gans. Send him the slide/barrel/frame to get lightened and fitted and do the rest yourself. Crazy fast turnaround. Last one was 1 week. 

All his pricing is a la carte and on his site. 

Edited by echotango

5 minutes ago, Revofan said:

One of his meaning gans?

Translation:

A friend of EEH shoots a Venom Custom 

Venom custom is owned by a member on this forum (Donnyglock)

GANS assembles guns from parts that you send to him as well as other machine work

58 minutes ago, Revofan said:

I believe I’ve seen some of Donny’s guns nice looking for sure 

how’s slide to frame fit on his work ?

anyone else running Donny’s guns ?

I see one of donnyglock’s gun shoot about twice a month, a lot of machine work, If I were to have one built he would do it.