Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR Blue for open major?

ParaGunner

I tried it, it worked but I like vv350 better.  In my open gun(38sc) it took over 9 grains to make major with 124/125 grain bullets.  Not saying it’s a lot of powder, there was still room in the case, just took at least that much.

TruBlue seemed to be the same powder with the same results.

i was more curious to see would it be viable to use if I couldn’t get vv as imr blue or trublue I could find locally 

good luck 

Of the 2 powders I've tried so far, (autocomp-8grns and aa7-10.8grns to make major with 124grn bullet) I'm trying to find a powder in the middle of those two. Did the imr blue meter well or does it fall out everywhere like aa7? Aa7 is so fine it leaks out of my powder bar on my Dillon and gets everywhere. 

15 minutes ago, Glk21C said:

I tried it, it worked but I like vv350 better.  In my open gun(38sc) it took over 9 grains to make major with 124/125 grain bullets.  Not saying it’s a lot of powder, there was still room in the case, just took at least that much.

TruBlue seemed to be the same powder with the same results.

i was more curious to see would it be viable to use if I couldn’t get vv as imr blue or trublue I could find locally 

good luck 

Edited by ParaGunner
Add bullet weight

Finally found a pound of Imr blue locally to try. Didn't really work out in my 5" SV with 4 barrel holes and comp. 10.5 grains of blue filled the 38sc case to the top and I only got 1290 FPS with 124grn bullet. It seems blue is slower than Aa7. I can make major with 10.8grns of Aa7, but it spills everywhere on my press out of the powder dispenser when I use it. I might try Silhouette next.

2 minutes ago, racer-x said:

Try this with your powder bar to minimize spilling with fine powders like AA7.

AA7 is a great powder for 9major and this makes loading it a lot less messy.

I've read this thread before. I load on a Dillon SDB. Think the tape will work on a SDB powder bar?

1 hour ago, ParaGunner said:

I've read this thread before. I load on a Dillon SDB. Think the tape will work on a SDB powder bar?

I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

The working parts of the SDB powder measure looks just like my 550 & 1050 powder measures.

The point of the tape is to reduce the slop in the moving parts where the powder slips through. Add more or less tape thickness to get it slop free, but still non-binding.

15 minutes ago, racer-x said:

I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

The working parts of the SDB powder measure looks just like my 550 & 1050 powder measures.

The point of the tape is to reduce the slop in the moving parts where the powder slips through. Add more or less tape thickness to get it slop free, but still non-binding.

Might end up trying this when I run out of autocomp. I still have 2lbs of Aa7.