Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-seating already loaded rounds

darks1d3

This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyways. Is it ok to reseat an already loaded round? I just need the round to be about .02 shorter. The round is loaded light so the extra pressure from a shorter OAL isn't an issue.

I just loaded a ton of rounds for my 9mm 1911 so I loaded them a bit long. Got a new gun and the longer round doesn't quite plunk.  I only have a square deal B so it would save me a ton of time just reseating the rounds I have.  

This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyways. Is it ok to reseat an already loaded round? I just need the round to be about .02 shorter. The round is loaded light so the extra pressure from a shorter OAL isn't an issue.

I just loaded a ton of rounds for my 9mm 1911 so I loaded them a bit long. Got a new gun and the longer round doesn't quite plunk.  I only have a square deal B so it would save me a ton of time just reseating the rounds I have.  
yep just don't load it into the primer station and you'll be fine

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bwikel said:

If they are coated or plated bullets pull one after you re-seat them to assure you aren't removing the coating or plating as you seat them deeper. 

This. It's usually fine to seat jacketed bullets deeper. With any sort of lead or plated, if the rounds were crimped very much you'll probably have issues with shaving lead/coating or cracking the plating. This is the same reason why we don't seat and crimp in the same step. If you didn't crimp very much it may be OK. 

Edited by Yondering

Reseating is occasionally done by benchrest/target rifle shooters who believe cold welding occurs between the jacketed bullet and case neck when ammunition is reloaded and stored for a " lengthy " period of time prior to being fired. Some reloaders intentionally load the rifle cartridge "long" specifically for this purpose. 

Taper crimp, not so bad. Roll crimp, not so good. ;)

I once loaded 1500 rounds that I had to reseat. So like a fool I reseated about 1400 of them. Only to find the new COAL still wasn't short enough and I was still getting squibs.  The next time I only did a few hundred.... which I ended up still being too long and I ended up doing them yet again. lmao

(Using up a big box of .356" 115gr JHPs, loaded into .38 special cases with a very light charge. Way too much empty space.)

7 hours ago, 2tuf4u said:

Reseating is occasionally done by benchrest/target rifle shooters who believe cold welding occurs between the jacketed bullet and case neck when ammunition is reloaded and stored for a " lengthy " period of time prior to being fired. Some reloaders intentionally load the rifle cartridge "long" specifically for this purpose. 

Yep.

It's also a trick to use when pulling bullets; if they are really hard to pull, seating them a little deeper often breaks that bond between the neck and bullet so they'll come out easier.