Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
AzShooter

Would you remove the 1980 safety from your auto?

I've read that removing the 1980 safety parts will help reduce trigger pull, less parts to get in the way.   I don't like eliminating safeties but what is the real gain in doing so on your 1911?

Only gain really is fewer parts means less chance of a problem.  But having said that, chances of a problem related to the S80 parts are close to zero.  Most people remove them so they can get a smoother trigger.  But if you polish all the parts and contact surfaces, you won't even know they're there.

I do not remove or disable ANY safety devices on guns. If a gun has a device I don't like, I don't buy it.

11 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

But if you polish all the parts and contact surfaces, you won't even know they're there.

That's what I did, and you really cannot tell the difference.  Also, if you disable the firing pin block you will not be able to shoot IDPA, plus some others.

My FLG is a S80 Deleter  but when IDPA started checking, I had to have him put the lawyer levers back in.  With everything polished up, it makes no discernible difference in trigger weight or feel. 

12 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

But if you polish all the parts and contact surfaces, you won't even know they're there.

Believe it or not, polishing EVERYTHING in your 1911 is one of the best upgrades you can do. It improves EVERYTHING. Just bring the parts to a nice shine and don't remove metal.

a lot of folks remove the parts and put a spacer block in the frame

BUT

the dumb shits don't realize the 80 hammers do NOT have a half cock notch

IF you have to do it get a series 70 hammer

OR just sell it and buy an original design model.

Better yet, just put a 70 series hammer in and polish everything else.

I have a Series 80 gun with a great trigger. That said, it's miles easier to NOT do all the extra work just to have it not be as good as it could be if those parts weren't in there. 

Yes, I have removed them and added a filler blank in other guns. Better end result for the guns intended purpose.