Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island TAC Ultra FS HC 9mm

BigGrizley

I've heard nothing but good things about them. This probably goes without saying, but just case: I'd strongly recommend handling one in person before taking the leap (a lot of the big-box stores sell the stock RIA double-stack guns). The grip geometry a little different from a more "standard" 2011, and it won't work for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Had one for a few months, Great gun for the price. Only gripe I had was the grip was too large for me. Alot bigger than a STI 2011.

Ended up trading it in a 3 way trade with some buddies, the 2011 for a Beretta for a q 5 match. I ended up with the Q5

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 8:26 PM, Hunt4food said:

Looking to buy one as well. Everyone still liking them

I still like mine. Great shooting gun that doesn't give me any trouble. One of these days I'm going to send it to Hayes to get worked over.

I stopped by my local gun store/indoor range today and they happened to have just got in 2 RIA Tac's yesterday, and they had one left, and well, I bought it. Put 250 rounds thru it out of the box. The first couple 150 ran great, however I got some extraction issues in the last 100. I stripped it down when I got home and cleaned the gunk out, I'll see how it does tomorrow. First impressions, wow, it shoots flat. Pretty fun gun for the money. 

• 3 months later...

I've had a 9mm tac ultra since they came out and it's probably my favorite handgun. My only complaint is that I have to pry it away from my wife when she's at the range with me. I replaced a few parts with wilson combat stuff, like the slide stop and the barrel bushing. Polished the feed ramp into the barrel and blended it but didn't take too much. Put some dawson sights on it and smoothed out the trigger a little.  It really has been a fun gun. I used it in 3 gun a good bit and it worked well. Has anyone run the STI mags in one enough to give a reliability report? I wouldn't mind trying the 140mm ones if they work well

Edited by Deeslwrk

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2020 at 9:41 PM, Deeslwrk said:

I've had a 9mm tac ultra since they came out and it's probably my favorite handgun. My only complaint is that I have to pry it away from my wife when she's at the range with me. I replaced a few parts with wilson combat stuff, like the slide stop and the barrel bushing. Polished the feed ramp into the barrel and blended it but didn't take too much. Put some dawson sights on it and smoothed out the trigger a little.  It really has been a fun gun. I used it in 3 gun a good bit and it worked well. Has anyone run the STI mags in one enough to give a reliability report? I wouldn't mind trying the 140mm ones if they work well

STI won't fit. Buy this mag instead:

https://grabagun.com/rem-17795-1911-tact-9mm-mag-bl-18rd.html

works well without any fix.