Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite trigger group kit?

currahee1911

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005646890?pid=149806

Cylinder and Slide Ultra light.

I’ve got this kit in an STI Edge. It’s excellent.

I’ve also got a Nowlin Arms kit in a custom build and it’s very solid as well. Nowlin has zero pre travel and a good break. It’s heavier than the Cylinder and Slide kit, but very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20 minutes ago, Dranoel said:

but when it comes to trigger group you are MUCH better off getting all three pieces from the same company and in a set. 

+1

I have used components from EGW, C&L, Extreme Engineering ( makes the C&L stuff) and Harrison Custom.  I really cannot tell any functional difference between the EE/C&L and EGW.  I put EGW kits in my latest builds, because they work, fit well and their sear is the smallest at the point the TS hits it.  If the TS wears and fails safety check, I can fit an EE sear and the safety will function again.  Next larger is a Harrison Custom sear.  I have had to use that one on a custom gun with all SVI parts.  The SVI TS has a pad where it blocks the SVI sear.  That stuff should not be used in an STI pistol, because it wears unevenly.

My advise is to put SVI stuff in an SVI pistol, and EGW in anything else.  If you can't get EGW, EE is fine.  BYW, although the stuff is marketed as a 'kit', the components are just picked from the various parts bins.  I have zero trouble buying individual components from EGW and have the drop in with at most, minor work.  BTW, I prefer the EGW long nose sear, because I put a True Radius nose on it.  Their standard sear is already the correct lentgh, so I cannot radius it.

+1

I have used components from EGW, C&L, Extreme Engineering ( makes the C&L stuff) and Harrison Custom.  I really cannot tell any functional difference between the EE/C&L and EGW.  I put EGW kits in my latest builds, because they work, fit well and their sear is the smallest at the point the TS hits it.  If the TS wears and fails safety check, I can fit an EE sear and the safety will function again.  Next larger is a Harrison Custom sear.  I have had to use that one on a custom gun with all SVI parts.  The SVI TS has a pad where it blocks the SVI sear.  That stuff should not be used in an STI pistol, because it wears unevenly.

My advise is to put SVI stuff in an SVI pistol, and EGW in anything else.  If you can't get EGW, EE is fine.  BYW, although the stuff is marketed as a 'kit', the components are just picked from the various parts bins.  I have zero trouble buying individual components from EGW and have the drop in with at most, minor work.  BTW, I prefer the EGW long nose sear, because I put a True Radius nose on it.  Their standard sear is already the correct lentgh, so I cannot radius it.
I just did my first experiments cutting sears on two of my guns. Used EGW kits with the standard sears and was removing material with the Harrison TR jig at the .402 quadrant. One was a kit and the other just a near sear as it already had EGW parts.

Curious what portions of the jig you are using for each of EGW long nose, EE, and Harrison (is it the gunsmith sear?) ?

I'll end up having to go longer eventually and wouldn't mind writing it down for future reference.

I've test fired one and didn't mess with the sear spring at all and it's at 3lbs pull and clean. The other one I have down to 1.75lbs, haven't test fired it yet, but passes all safety checks. Sick of bending springs or I'd add about half of pound back in.

Before this experiment, dropped a Brazos kit in yet another gun and beautiful trigger pull resulted right at 2.25 lbs crisp with a bit of a wall. No safety modifications required. Not sure what hammer they use, but harmonics are nice and it has a pretty little ring in dryfire.

Pre-fit Brazos was nice as I spent about $400 on tools and parts for the experiment. Was a bit frustrated until I figured out the spring bending technique but now happy I can kind of do it myself. Was under the impression that the EGW kits are not prepped in any way, but under magnification the sear surfaces looked polished to the same degree as the Brazos.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

IMO SVI, EGW, Harrison, Nowlin, and Extreme Engineering have been consistently great.  For me it boils down to the style of the hammer.  I really like the SH version of the SV hammer so I usually go with Infinity.  I guess if you are having a gun built by someone best to go with they recommend and used to working with.  If you build your own, go with the design you think looks best.

10 hours ago, mattx said:

Curious what portions of the jig you are using for each of EGW long nose, EE, and Harrison (is it the gunsmith sear?) ?

I have the original TR jig that is .402" all around.  The newer jig has multiple diameters.  I use the EGW Long Nose sear.  It is a couple thou longer than their standard .402" sear, so there is enough material on it to cut the radius.  If you have the newer jig, you may be able to start at .404" or .405" and have material left for a subsequent refacing.

The standard EGW sear is polished and comes with the secondary already cut.  It won't work in my jig.  Nor will any other sear unless it is longer then .402".  I buy Harrison custom sears with the TR already cut on them.  So far they have dropped in.

I've put the C&S kit in two guns.  I had to modify the hammer hooks because they were not square and only .016". For reference, EGW kits did drop in without mods. 

In two custom builds I used EGW kits and they just dropped in.  They only thing I did was polish to a mirror finish.  I did not have to 'correct' anything.  I just had to put a new EGW sear and hammer in my Sig Tacops.  I put a True Radius on the long nose sear, and had to adjust the angle of the hammer hooks by something between .0001" and .0002".  It was that close.  Not EGW's fault.

On 9/10/2019 at 7:01 PM, zzt said:

BTW, I prefer the EGW long nose sear, because I put a True Radius nose on it.  Their standard sear is already the correct lentgh, so I cannot radius it.

I just learned something, I have a TR sear jig and did not know EGW made a long nose sear. That is one of the reasons I have not used the Jig it seemed every sear I tried was short!

I prefer EGW sears, I usually will go with a Koenig hammer. I prefer the EE disconnector. This combination has allowed me to get some great feeling triggers. I know CS, EGW, and EE all offer complete Kits and many use them as drop in parts but I would caution that they still may need to be fit to a specific gun.

Edited by SWprotected

• 2 weeks later...