Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Matches - Traditional Steel Challenge / Outlaw / Hybrid

I am looking for input from “shooters”.  We want to increase participation at our local steel matches.  As a shooter, would you prefer a match that is traditional Steel Challenge, Outlaw setup or a hybrid match of 3 steel Challenge classifiers and 2 or 3 stages that are Outlaw (usually 20 - 30 targets)?   Our thinking is that for folks who want to establish classifications can get credit for the 3 classifiers and the added Outlaw stages provides an added value of fun with the extra targets.

Interested in your thoughts from a shooters perspective.  

Edited by Hoops

I run an outlaw steel match for our club. Basically it is Rio's Tuesday Night Steel, but we do it on Wednesday's. Anyhow, 2 stages are action steel type shooting and one stage will be a steel challenge type of stage. I try to keep each stage at 25 rounds, so 75 minimum for the match. The match fee of $15 allows one to shoot it as many times as they want to. A couple of times a year I will throw in a 4 to 8 stage match on an empty weekend, half action steel and half steel challenge.

I got to this format by polling our members at the end of every season. The action type stages are preferred around here by a ten to one ratio. My advice, copy some Rio stages from off of Youtube videos for a few matches, and then ask your members. Don't worry, they'll tell you what they liked and what they didn't. In fact, I'm not sure why more clubs don't do this. We do this for our steel, USPSA and 3 gun divisions yearly. It makes it real easy to find out what's working and what isn't.