Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 steel grips

Drbruce

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Drbruce said:

Looking for opinions on 2011 steel grips.  limcat, pheonix, etc.  What have you used and liked?  Also was it a straight replacement or did it require a lot of fitting?

Check out the grip that lonestar innovations is making. The ergonomics are incredible, it has the right type of grip and is designed in Texas and made from 17-4 stainless. I think it is the best grip on the market. Glenn will help make sure that the fitting is as easy as possible. 

Edited by GringoBandito

I like the evo but I’ve heard some talk lately from gun builders that the lsi grip is the best one out. I haven’t seen one yet. Evo was/is a great product. Cheely is good too but requires a cheely proprietary magwell which a deal breaker for me. 

Okay, we'll bite.  Which gun builders?

3 hours ago, magpulled said:

I like the evo but I’ve heard some talk lately from gun builders that the lsi grip is the best one out. I haven’t seen one yet. Evo was/is a great product. Cheely is good too but requires a cheely proprietary magwell which a deal breaker for me. 

Okay, we're interested.  Which gun builders? 

I have used the Classic PT grips, the EVO, and the Cheely E2 all in aggressive texture. Personally I find the best fit for my hands to be the EVO. The Cheely grip is nice and comes with the magwell and mag release, but it is a little smaller and I don't feel like I grip it as well as the EVO. Fitting will vary based on your frame, I have had to spend quite a bit of time fitting all of them I have installed.

I just had a chance to put hands on the LSI outlaw grip and I was very impressed. The double undercut is a nice addition and the quality was top notch. The PT Evo is a great way to go as well. Super grippy and quality is excellent. The price difference isn’t huge but if I were looking to save a few bucks I’d go LSI based on how it felt to me and looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Drbruce said:

For those that replaced their plastic grip with steel was it basically a simple swap or was much fitting involved

Unless you're using a grip that has been specifically ordered for your frame dimensions (I believe Lone Star provides this service) fitting a steel grip to a 2011 frame could be very hit/miss.

The pic below shows initial trial for installing a PT grip on what was my normal limited pistol.  After checking some measurements it was clear that I would need to remove material from either the grip or the frame.  I wasn't happy about either option, so I tried installing the grip on another 2011 that I had intended to sell.  Guess what...it fit like a glove, no filing needed..

IMG_1060.thumb.JPG.7d70c6e029d74ca44116a8722700ec81.JPG

18 hours ago, Drbruce said:

Thanks for all the replies.  For those that replaced their plastic grip with steel was it basically a simple swap or was much fitting involved

LSI OUTLAW grip is made one off as per the frame dimensions you supply...so that saves the DIY and gunsmith guys fitting time.

On 9/19/2019 at 9:51 AM, GlennRasch said:

LSI OUTLAW grip is made one off as per the frame dimensions you supply...so that saves the DIY and gunsmith guys fitting time.

that sounds like something to consider.  Got a limcat I am having redone and am adding their steel grip to it.  Unless it is so it fits like a glove think I will talk to lonestar for my DVC 3 gun

I have the Cheely E2.  The PT was a tad too big for me to be able to reach the mag release without changing my grip.  I've heard that ergonomically speaking the LSI is fantastic, but I can't seem to find one locally to try.

I just had the PT evo installed on my Edge. A world of difference from the stock STI plastic grip. As a side note I’m having Dan Bedell build my new limited gun and I’m going with the Lone Star Innovations Outlaw grip to give it a try based on the reviews on this forum. 

Edited by TheHooter