Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting load data for 9mm major?

jbultman

13 minutes ago, mach1soldier said:

8.0 at 1.165 for hs6. You will need closer to 8.3 to 8.6 depending on your gun / Popple holes. 

8.3 to 8.6 of hs6 I would suggest go longer. 1.180 if possible.. Thats what I load for my open gun. 

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Do yourself a favor and start with the AA7.  Load to at least 1.160" as long as it passes the plunk test.

That’s the plan. Thinking I’ll start at 9.0gr. Unless someone tells me otherwise

On 9/9/2019 at 8:53 PM, 36873687 said:

Is it a shorty a middy or 5.4 barrel. How many poople holes an size?      My 5.4 guns are 9.7 aa7 124  jh p 1.165.  10.5 115 jh p 1.165.    With blue bullets sized to .356 125 tc 9.25. Srp.       

Forgot to include....

Full Size, 5.4 barrel, full length slide, short dust cover, 4 holes in the barrel. 2 Vees at a 45 and 2 popples. I believe all are 3/16 but I don’t have it to measure. 

I would need to load at a 1.165

7E97E1F9-A876-44B2-8A33-BAA9EA22C534.jpeg

Edited by jbultman

1 hour ago, jbultman said:

Forgot to include....

Full Size, 5.4 barrel, full length slide, short dust cover, 4 holes in the barrel. 2 Vees at a 45 and 2 popples. I believe all are 3/16 but I don’t have it to measure. 

I would need to load at a 1.165

7E97E1F9-A876-44B2-8A33-BAA9EA22C534.jpeg

Looks like 3/16 holes. 

12 hours ago, jbultman said:

Full Size, 5.4 barrel, full length slide, short dust cover, 4 holes in the barrel. 2 Vees at a 45 and 2 popples

Wow.  I don't know how compressible AA7 is.  If it isn't, I'm not sure you will get enough powder in the case under a 124 @ 1.165" to work all those holes and the comp.  You may have to go to 115s and use the 124s for minor steel loads.

BTW, Major Pistol powder is the same speed as AA7, and it is very compressible.  You can try some of that.

Edited by zzt

9 minutes ago, zzt said:

Wow.  I don't know how compressible AA7 is.  If it isn't, I'm not sure you will get enough powder in the case under a 124 @ 1.165" to work all those holes and the comp.  You may have to go to 115s and use the 124s for minor steel loads.

BTW, Major Pistol powder is the same speed as AA7, and it is very compressible.  You can try some of that.

That is a lot of holes. An I know u know but 115 grain would be a lot of powder in that gun say 10.9

4 hours ago, zzt said:

4 hours ago, 36873687 said:

That is a lot of holes. An I know u know but 115 grain would be a lot of powder in that gun say 10.9

I just talked to the previous owner And he said that it’ll run 170pf with 8.2 grains of hs6 at 1.165 and a jhp...I’m not seeing that it is that far off that is what everyone else’s   Charges are

2 hours ago, jbultman said:

I just talked to the previous owner And he said that it’ll run 170pf with 8.2 grains of hs6 at 1.165 and a jhp...I’m not seeing that it is that far off that is what everyone else’s   Charges are

Should be close. I get 170pf with 8.2gr of hs6 and a 121gr w/3x 3/16" holes. 

But I don't use that load (powder).

3 hours ago, jbultman said:

That’s fine charge with 124

21 hours ago, zzt said:

AA7 compresses just fine. My full size CK guns have 3 x 3/16" popples in the barrel. 170PF loads for it are:

9.9 grains AA7 for MG124JHP @ 1.185 OAL with CCI-500

10.7 grains AA7 for MG115JHP @ 1.165 OAL with CCI-500

I've loaded up to 11 grains AA7 and its no problem. 9MM case holds 13.8 grains of AA7 to the top.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to have found this thread!

When you guys measure the bullet with a JHP, do you guys measure from the flat. of the rim to the flat of the JHP?

Or do I need to use something like the Hornady Comparator that measure from the ogive.

I need to develop a load that would work for both these guns using: HS-6 and DP 124 JHP.

- Open 2011 middy, with 3 port comp and two 3/16 poppel holes

- CZ CM Factory

Thanks!

59 minutes ago, YellowShooter said:

Glad to have found this thread!

When you guys measure the bullet with a JHP, do you guys measure from the flat. of the rim to the flat of the JHP?

Or do I need to use something like the Hornady Comparator that measure from the ogive.

I need to develop a load that would work for both these guns using: HS-6 and DP 124 JHP.

- Open 2011 middy, with 3 port comp and two 3/16 poppel holes

- CZ CM Factory

Thanks!

If you are 'plunking' to determine go/no go, it doesn't matter where you measure from, as long as it is consistent. 

On 9/11/2019 at 9:55 AM, zzt said:

That's actually not much for holes being they're all the way out at the end of the barrel of a full size gun.  It'll be plenty good with about 9.X gr of No.7 and a 124 jhp.

• 1 month later...
Hey all,

Looking for where to start loading 9 major at with the following powders with a 124gr precision delta jhp and CCI srp...
cfe
hs-6
aa#7

thanks, J

Go with Vihtavuori 3N38 that powder was made specifically for compensated guns regardless of popper holes.

4 hours ago, Hiroshi said:

Go with Vihtavuori 3N38 that powder was made specifically for compensated guns regardless of popper holes.

Nonsense.  Only use 3N38 for 9 major if you enjoy cleaning up spilled powder on the shell plate, struggling with compressing the powder and watching your rounds grow in OAL after a bit.

Edited by zzt

10 hours ago, zzt said:

Nonsense.  Only use 3N38 for 9 major if you enjoy cleaning up spilled powder on the shell plate, struggling with compressing the powder and watching your rounds grow in OAL after a bit.

I had none of those issues as long as I went slow and placed bullets by hand.   That is slow, and I don't like slow, so I sold all of my 3n38 and switched to Silhouette so I could use my bulletfeeder again.