Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting a CZ TS to Open Gun

DSheppard

I’m thinking of sending my 9mm CZ TS to CGW and having it converted to an open gun by cutting the dust cover and slide to remove weight, adding a optic mount, comp, thumb rest, etc. Does anyone have any experience with such a project? I’m wondering if it would be better to buy an 2011 or Czechmate open gun rather than trying to convert my TS.  

Your comments are greatly appreciated. 

I converted my TS to an Open gun.  I would not do it again.  It is simpler and more practical to just buy a Czechmate or 2011.

I shoot with a bunch of guys running Czechmates.  The run fine and have no problems.  They hit your hand harder than 2011s and muzzle rise is greater.  Some are switching to the 2011 platform.  One buddy is on the Rudy Project team.  He spent a weekend shooting his teammates guns and decided to switch to a 2011.  He has five more weeks to wait.  Another buddy shot my 2011 and loved it.  He is now saving for one.

I still have my TS and shoot it for 40 minor in games.  I have three 2011 Open guns and one 1911 Open.  I'd never go back to a CZ for Open, but I will say that 40 Open shoots way softer, flatter, and less violently than 9 major.

I just put an extra 9mm open upper for sale.  I bought a Czechmate a few months ago and have one of my TSs converted to open as a backup/occasional match gun.  Just acquired a TSO in .40 to be my primary Limited gun and have a TS as a backup.  The uppers I put for sale are extra to my needs at the present time.  If you drill and tap your frame you could try open pretty cheap.