Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 gen5 ammo issue

Snowman50

I recently purchased a gen5, 17 and also have a G17 gen3; went to the range and had some feeding issues with the gen 5 with various bullet profiles (FP, RN and different COL).  The bullet diameter is .356, and I'm wondering if I need .355..Thanks in advance if anyone out there has dealt with solved the problem.

It’s a generalization, but the newer barrels in the Gen 5 Glock have a much “tighter and shorter” throat compared to Glock barrels in the past. Glock barrels in general used to be “sloppy” and thus would feed almost anything. I suspect, especially if you are hand loading, that the COAL for the given bullet and profile is too long for the newer barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, iflyskyhigh said:

It’s a generalization, but the newer barrels in the Gen 5 Glock have a much “tighter and shorter” throat compared to Glock barrels in the past. Glock barrels in general used to be “sloppy” and thus would feed almost anything. I suspect, especially if you are hand loading, that the COAL for the given bullet and profile is too long for the newer barrels.
I do handload, and I suspect certain bullet profiles won't work with the gen 5 barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have many Gen 5 Glocks and have seen zero issues with ammunition. I use 147gr. AE for range and 147gr. HST for carry. They also work well with 124 AE/HST/Gold Dot

The early Gen 5 Glock barrels had a shorter throat which Glock later changed.

The early Gen 5s might've had even shorter throats, but the current Gen 5s still have a much shorter throat than previous generations. I found Blue Bullets 125gr truncated cone fit but the 125gr round nose did not at normal OAL I load to for example. Haven't checked to see just how short I'd need to load for the round nose. 

So you can either load shorter, or just use bullets with narrower ogive. Or get chamber reamed if it really bothers you.

2 hours ago, Southpaw said:

The early Gen 5s might've had even shorter throats, but the current Gen 5s still have a much shorter throat than previous generations. I found Blue Bullets 125gr truncated cone fit but the 125gr round nose did not at normal OAL I load to for example. Haven't checked to see just how short I'd need to load for the round nose. 

So you can either load shorter, or just use bullets with narrower ogive. Or get chamber reamed if it really bothers you.

Plunk tested: had to go to COAL 1.115 using Bayou 124RN; 1.110 w/ Blues 125RN.