Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Softer Primers - Effect on Breechface

IVC

There seems to be an ongoing discussion about which primers to use for major, from harder CCIs to small rifle primers. Besides the preference, the main concern seems to be the overpressure signs - flattening and particularly cratering. 

Is there any observable effect of softer primers on the breechface over time? I am asking those who have shot tens of thousands of rounds using softer primers. It seems that one school of thought likes the softer ones because they prevent gasses from escaping through the charge hole, while the other questions the impact of flattening against the breechface. 

Anyone has any hard data on the effect of primers on the gun itself? 

Well apparently using winchest sm pistol primers in 9maj ruined my akai slide(breechface) and is costing me to make another. So does it happen...yup.. i sold all sm pistol pimers i had  now everything gets sm rifle. 

3 minutes ago, Loudgp said:

Well apparently using winchest sm pistol primers in 9maj ruined my akai slide(breechface) and is costing me to make another. So does it happen...yup.. i sold all sm pistol pimers i had  now everything gets sm rifle. 

I really don’t get this .i know another builder that says it’s a pistol use small pistol primers 

I don't either esp since my loads were under max for what others are using with his firearms in 9major and was told changing to sc would of fixed the issue and it didn't.. only cost me 5x's the cost in supplies lmao . and also i run major in a sti edge (but .40) and never an issue with sm pistol primers. but it got to the point that after 40 rounds or so the gun would lock up from brass shavings. so who knows... now my wifes gun is using the same load with hs6 and no issues with shavings (sm rifle) in 38sc. 

Edited by Loudgp

I know you don't want or need to hear this but I've got over 40-50k of CCI sm pistol through one of my Bedell guns and no signs of breech erosion.

I'm loading 6.8 of Auto Comp, mixed brass and 124 PD, 1.165-70

My Akai limited guns have had 1000's of win or Fed SMALL pp with 173 PF loads with WST and also never a sign of erosion.  Did y'all check with the slide maker about warranty.

Of course that doesn't cover the labor cost and that's where the real money is!!!

Good Fortune with it!

Edited by jcc7x7

3 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

I know you don't want or need to hear this but I've got over 40-50k of CCI sm pistol through one of my Bedell guns and no signs of breech erosion.

I'm loading 6.8 of Auto Comp, mixed brass and 124 PD, 1.165-70

My Akai limited guns have had 1000's of win or Fed SMALL pp with 173 PF loads with WST and also never a sign of erosion.  Did y'all check with the slide maker about warranty.

Of course that doesn't cover the labor cost and that's where the real money is!!!

Good Fortune with it!

the gun went back to them 4 times for the same issue and always was told a different fix. Finally told it needs a new slide. so more $$ out the door. at this point as long as it runs i dont care.. and im not sure who provided the slide as all i did was pay him. 

Just now, Loudgp said:

the gun went back to them 4 times for the same issue and always was told a different fix. Finally told it needs a new slide. so more $$ out the door. at this point as long as it runs i dont care.. and im not sure who provided the slide as all i did was pay him. 

Feel your pain!

Again, good fortune with it when it gets back!

I never buy small pistol primers.  I run rifle primers in everything small.  .380, 9mm, .40, 9 major, 38 super comp.  They all run 100 percent.
Good to hear! Have you have any issues over the years? I got a great deal on sm rifle but only run them in my glocks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Banacek said:

Good to hear! Have you have any issues over the years? I got a great deal on sm rifle but only run them in my glocks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I knew a guy many years ago that had a revolver with a really light trigger that couldn't run rifle primers.  Other than that, I've never had an issue.  I run them in my 1911's, 2011's, striker fired guns, even my Colt government .380 and my Ruger LCP.  Only have to keep one type on hand for pistols, AR's and bolt guns.  They also work in my TC contender.  Large primers are a different matter.

I’ve always heard using SRP in standard pistol velocity doesn’t seal the primer pockets and can lead to breechface erosion. In an open gun you have more pressure so it seals the pocket plus sometimes a SPP will get pierced from the firing pin/pressure.

With all of that said I use SRP in my open guns and 38 Supers. I also use SRP in standard velocity 9mm if I’m running short on SRP. I do keep a close eye on the breechface on the guns I run SRP in and so far I haven't noticed any problems in them. 

Edited by Cowboy1629

Some very good information, and it seems to show a pattern - no issues with SRP and some issues with SPP, even though in theory SRP is the one that should cause erosion due to not sealing the primer pocket properly.

This brings up the next question. What is the mechanism for SPP to cause erosion? Gases are not escaping, so is it the primer itself hitting the breechface? 

• 1 month later...

Typically the softer primers are preferable for very light loads because they deform more easily and seal the primer pocket. I can't understand how a pistol primer that remains intact in a 9 major gun can cause breach face damage. I have heard that some stay away from rifle primers for that reason since they are typically a harder alloy than pistol primers