Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger 10/22 Target Lite Bulletproofing?

gerritm

I have a 17 year old granddaughter who shoots Steel Challenge (RFRO)and other steel matches with this rifle. She loves it and has won high over all in several local SC matches. She is shooting just below GM (roughly 92%) and getting better. She also shoots PCC in USPSA & UML 3-gun and does great.  She shoots any kind of rifle really well & is pretty good with a pistol.

Clean & oil lightly before each match. Been running CCI mini mags & Federal Target match. Not happy with the Federal seems to have more problems. CCI seems to run pretty good. Tried a couple of others with mixed results.

Trying to make this rifle as bullet proof as possible. Has less than 1K rounds on it. Seems like every match we get a few malfunctions, mostly end up with double feeds. Have checked mags they seem to be OK. Marked them all and no pattern with mags & malfunctions.

Looking for suggestions as to what to do to the rifle itself. I have changed the FP & extractor to the Volquartsen bolt tune up kit. Put a recoil buffer. Have a Tandemkross comp. Any other internal ideas to keep it running as close to 100% as a .22 can?

gerritm

The chambers on those target rifle are very tight ! I would try to polish the chamber. I also like to chamfer my bolts to help smooth the cycle of the bolt. She sounds like a great shooter, I wish her well in the shooting sports !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

Where does the double feed occur? Full mag, second to last ect. I have an old beater 10/22 that would do that until I loosened the mag spring one or two flats on the hex bolt. Can’t remember exactly but if you go too far it won’t feed the last or second to last round. I figured it out using an old mag that worked perfect while a new one didn’t. Spring tension was a fair amount less in the old one. It just may be worth a try. 

This .22 Ruger Target Lite is now as  bullet proof as possible and runs 99.1% or time. I polished everything that I could do.

Including the few parts that I installed from first post I put a Kidd Charging handle rod & recoil spring combo. This seemed to cure most of the double feeds & smooth out the action. Still shooting the original 10 round mags & all I did to those was take off the sharp edges. Gun now has probably 7-10K rounds and I use CCI mini mag ammo. 

It does not like the Ruger BX 25 mags, but runs as close to 100% as a .22 can with standard 10 rounders and the BX-15 mags.

I never say 100% because it would jinx it and it is a .22. 

gerritm