Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you like to travel?

Casmo

Yes, of course. If money was no object, I would go on a world tour and visit as many countries as possible. Usually, trips motivate me and I work more productively after vacation. Besides, nowadays there are a lot of low-cost airlines, so it's possible to travel cheap 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 7:10 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Diversity trumps all.     :cheers:

I love to travel; I use drugs (have insomnia) to get to sleep and use a CPAP (have sleep apnea) to sleep.  So I am at home no

matter where I am.  And I like Diversity.

Hey Jack,  I love the saying under your name; can I use it?   Sparky

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I like being other places, I hate getting there. Cant drive like I used to, and flying has just turned into 100% misery and a blatant surrender of every right you have. When I was endurance racing I did alot of traveling in the 8-12 hour range with the horses,,, but that eventually got to me.  Just like USPSA,,, liked the game, hated the drive and time involved.

It is nice to be in places that are different from home - for a while. Done that before. A few days here, a year there. I don't even mind sitting in an airplane. Even before 911, I disliked airports. After that ...

• 3 months later...

Don't like travelling at all - a bit of a stick in the mud 🙂 

However, when you live on an island 19 miles by 9, you are pretty much guaranteed to gets lots of travelling done .... I used to have to travel a fair amount for work (circa once a month). These days, the only thing I travel for is 3 to 4 big IPSC matches every year, and that's more than enough, thank you very much.

• 4 weeks later...

Love it.  Up until my current employment for the last 4 years, I have traveled for work since I was 18.  I have traveled to over 10 countries, and all but four of the United states.  I would love a job where I traveled once a week every month, but I have not found that.  There is a balance, especially if you are married and/or have kids.  Employers always oversell quality of life and undersell the amount of travel you will incur while under their employ.

I am super grateful for these travels in that it has shaped how I view the world, and the US.

Now to figure out how to create a Travel budget for USPSA and IPSC matches.

• 2 months later...

The wife and I love to travel.  We (in non covid times) go out of country 2-4 times a year and we take a couple in country trips, maybe 1-4 depending on the year. 

We vastly prefer to travel international, it’s great to be submerged in different cultures and environments.  It’s also great to see some of the wonders of the world. 

• 9 months later...

I used to travel a ton for work back in the day. It was awesome to be able to see many parts of the world and immerse oneself into varying cultures. I have been to all but about 9-10 of the US states and traveled to over 30 countries. I have a passport at home that I had to send back to have additional visa pages put in because I ran out of space. 

Been from Honolulu  to Helsinki, Tokyo to Tel Aviv, Moscow to Melbourne. Glad I was able to do it when traveling was not nearly as onerous as it is today. 

We didn't have children so I was able to take my wife along to some pretty fabulous places. Unfortunately I burned her out on museums in Paris and I don't think she will ever step foot in one again. 

I've had to travel for work quite a bit in my 30's.  Being married and out of the country put a strain on the relationship.  I'm happy that I no longer need to travel for work.  It always seemed that you'd be stuck in a foreign country over weekends, holidays while your friends were out doing epic rides.  I was in China for the Athens Olympics which was frustrating as hell.  They would show a talking head but rarely would show the competitions.

• 2 years later...

My wife is an airline employee. Spouse benefits are free travel for me unlimited. - Standby only of course. The first 5 years of being married, I took solo weekend trips (when she was working) all over the US, but a lot of New York.

On her days off the last thing she want to do is put clothes in a suitcase, get on a tube, fly somewhere and stay in a hotel. 

So, we ended up with a boat, and then a bigger boat.  No longer on the coast, we sold the boat, but do travel a bit here and there, but not as much as we used to.  

My plan is to shoot better, and start hitting up matches out of my area.

1 hour ago, flyinverted said:

My wife is an airline employee. Spouse benefits are free travel for me unlimited. - Standby only of course. The first 5 years of being married, I took solo weekend trips (when she was working) all over the US, but a lot of New York.

On her days off the last thing she want to do is put clothes in a suitcase, get on a tube, fly somewhere and stay in a hotel. 

So, we ended up with a boat, and then a bigger boat.  No longer on the coast, we sold the boat, but do travel a bit here and there, but not as much as we used to.  

My plan is to shoot better, and start hitting up matches out of my area.

I get your wife,,, I am a marine engineer,, sail for a living...
Wife wants to go on a cruise for vacation........ ummmmmm