Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite finish

cnote

I do like DLC, as it seems to stand up to all kinds of weather and holster use, etc.  However, I am not

big on paying extra for a finish that I am going to wear off as I practice and shoot matches.

I remember years ago, ok way back in the days of "man on man" competition.  A person covering

a match asked Ray Chapman that when he comes up to the line and the shooter next to him has a

new custom pistol, is he concerned.  He said no, but when a shooter is next to him and the bluing

is worn off his pistol, then he is concerned, because that shooter has been practicing a lot!

I have all the finishes listed. My favorite by far is the PVD coating DLC. It’s super hard and wear resistant, it provides a very good amount of wear resistance and it is a “slick” finish. It has a low coefficient of friction and is a slightly porous finish that holds oil. 

• 4 months later...
On 9/11/2019 at 8:15 AM, Descartian said:

I have all the finishes listed. My favorite by far is the PVD coating DLC. It’s super hard and wear resistant, it provides a very good amount of wear resistance and it is a “slick” finish. It has a low coefficient of friction and is a slightly porous finish that holds oil. 

going with the DLC, so now ill have all three !!!

Really like NP3 by Robar, it's held up well, high lubricity and low friction. I've also have had great luck with CPII by CCR refinishing for the very same qualities. Both pistols have been used a lot.

(aesthetically i still prefer a deep gorgeous blue).

My 20y old les baer is HC... has some scratches from PPC schooting

I have an 1911 in DLC, coating is worn out on the slide rails and  worn from the "detent ball" from my gost holster

My new PPC pistol is in Melonite/tenifer and is not as pretty as the DLC or Chrome but is not tested yet in competition

DLC is a hard coating on "soft" metal, Melonite/tenifer makes a hard suface in the metal (surface)

I would go for a chrome frame and melonite slide :D