Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
cnote

Favorite finish

Black nitride, DLC, or hard chrome 

And why???????? 

I do like DLC, as it seems to stand up to all kinds of weather and holster use, etc.  However, I am not

big on paying extra for a finish that I am going to wear off as I practice and shoot matches.

I remember years ago, ok way back in the days of "man on man" competition.  A person covering

a match asked Ray Chapman that when he comes up to the line and the shooter next to him has a

new custom pistol, is he concerned.  He said no, but when a shooter is next to him and the bluing

is worn off his pistol, then he is concerned, because that shooter has been practicing a lot!

I like black nitride.  Looks great, cleans very easily, durable, doesn't add a thickness and it's affordable.  I'd like to try DLC, but I haven't found a decently priced vendor yet.

20 minutes ago, echotango said:

Black nitride.  Same reasons as above. 

Hard Chrome

(Note to mods deleted - thanks for your help 😏 )

Edited by teros135

Why, I have a hard chromed 1911, a black nitride 2011, and was thinking of DLC when getting another gun refinished.  Wasn't exactly getting the "why" part answered by most reply's, but still hoping.  If you don't like the thread, move on.  No need to complain.

I have all the finishes listed. My favorite by far is the PVD coating DLC. It’s super hard and wear resistant, it provides a very good amount of wear resistance and it is a “slick” finish. It has a low coefficient of friction and is a slightly porous finish that holds oil. 

41 minutes ago, cnote said:

If you don't like the thread, move on.  No need to complain.

teros was talking about some yahoo who posted their services 4 or 5x. The posts have been removed.