Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nats stage diagrams

2scoops

• 2 weeks later...

Really dropping the ball here.  Supposed to be out by the 15th, then that turned into the 16th. Now it's the 19th.  I hate to criticize something that takes a ton of work but these should.uave been released by now. 

Just got this email. You probably did also 😉

SIG "HICAP" 2019 Open & PCC Division National Championship
"The HICAP Nationals Matchbooks will be released shortly. There were several last minute changes after the team got on the ground and started building stages on Saturday. We are currently working through the updates and the will post the matchbook on the USPSA website and email all competitors when they are up."

HICAP Open/PCC Nationals
September 21st
12:00 - Registration opens
competitors will be allowed on the range from 12:00-6:00pm

September 22nd Competition
7:45am - 12:15pm Squads 101 – 118 compete
1:00pm – 5:45pm Squads 119 – 136 compete

September 23rd Competition
7:45am – 12:15pm Squads 119 – 136 compete
1:00pm – 5:45pm Squads 101 – 118 compete

September 24th Final Day of Competition
7:45am – 12:15pm Squads 101 – 118 compete
1:00pm – 5:45pm Squads 119 – 136 compete

Awards Ceremony
Sand Hollow Resort
5662 West Clubhouse Drive Hurricane, UT 84737
7:30pm doors open, hors-devours, cash bar
8:00pm awards followed by prize table

1 minute ago, Darqusoull13 said:

They will send an email if they get them done before match day. I will say it's odd that they proof stages on the ground this late.

Actually, stages *always* get proofed on the ground at the last second, which is why there are often so many differences between the published stage diagrams and the actual stages. Stuff may still get tweaked on saturday when the stage RO's get a chance to look at the stage from all angles.

Edited by motosapiens

Just now, motosapiens said:

Actually, stages *always* get proofed on the ground at the last second, which is why there are often so many differences between the published stage diagrams and the actual stages.

I just see this way of proofing stages in general as odd. When we host majors matches stages get proofed in local matches, tweaked and then run at the big match. We know the stages being used well in advance and can put everything together in a nice book to physically reference. There's also a good amount of space for sponsor advertisement. Others matcheshave local RO's shoot the match as a standalone match the weekend before to iron out the stages the same way. 

Have a little patience here folks. There is another level of "approval" that has come into play recently. Due to some issues with community relations, they are being extra careful in terms of target placement and shot lines. In other words, they have to have the stage completely laid down before it will pass scrutiny. This all started earlier this year and it was determined that the final solution is to turn all the bays that face the "wrong" way the right way. The negotiations for this have been ongoing and I think it was determined that it would not be feasible to complete before the scheduled match. Digging a hole in the desert isn't as simple as it used to be. And, since the staff for this match is scattered all over the country, getting them physically on the range much in advance of the match ain't gonna happen.

I guess they could of published very inaccurate diagrams but people would complain about that also. Ideal situation? Nope but this is what we have been given. SUPS does a good job and will for this, even if this isn't "their" match. 

Peace,

Chuck

PS: See you this weekend, Mark!

Thanks for the inside update Chuck. 

I also am interested in the stage diagrams just for something to fritter over until it's time to start packing, but really does it make any difference whatsoever? About the only useful thing I've ever gotten from stage diagrams is whether I should bone up on my table starts or not. All the actually useful information comes from personally inspecting the stage the day before (or the morning of, if you are a procrastinator).

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Actually, stages *always* get proofed on the ground at the last second, which is why there are often so many differences between the published stage diagrams and the actual stages. Stuff may still get tweaked on saturday when the stage RO's get a chance to look at the stage from all angles.

Agreed. We worked all winter on stages for our majors. Got approved as written when submitted. Same RM saw them in the ground and made changes. THEN CRO’s showed up and saw totally different issues from the RM. 

All of my stages get published with the disclaimer that we reserve the right to make any changes needed and that the diagram is just a reasonable facsimile.

3 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

whats funny is without diagrams many shooters will be better off, as they wont spend time making stage plans that don't work in real life because the stage as drawn "NEVER" matches the stage in real life enough to plan from.

When I saw the email with the round count and scoring method, I though perfect!