Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what do you see at 15 yards targets

2scoops

what are you seeing on a 15 yard target ? do you see the bullets impacting and making holes in the target looking through the dot, or do you only see the dot ?  Shot limited for 20 years and now transitioned to open. Trying to keep focus on the target but wondering if i'm seeing what i should

39 minutes ago, 2scoops said:

what are you seeing on a 15 yard target ? do you see the bullets impacting and making holes in the target looking through the dot, or do you only see the dot ?  Shot limited for 20 years and now transitioned to open. Trying to keep focus on the target but wondering if i'm seeing what i should

Cover the front of your optic with a piece of non transparent tape. Do some dry fire like that. Guaranteed when the dot superimposes on the target you will be having a  target focus ,no question about it

Dots are different than iron sights. Sight focus is everything with irons. Target focus is everything with a dot. Visualize yourself looking through the scope on a rifle to find the target and then triggering the shot when the crosshairs superimpose onto the target. That's what you're doing with a dot. It's nothing more than a rifle scope, minus the magnification factor. Focus on the target. The dot will follow.

6 hours ago, GOF said:

Dots are different than iron sights. Sight focus is everything with irons. Target focus is everything with a dot. Visualize yourself looking through the scope on a rifle to find the target and then triggering the shot when the crosshairs superimpose onto the target. That's what you're doing with a dot. It's nothing more than a rifle scope, minus the magnification factor. Focus on the target. The dot will follow.

14 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

If you are seeing holes on 15yd targets you are probably watching the target too long and should already be transitioning eyes to the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of these are great comments.  Dots are entirely different animal than irons.

On 9/7/2019 at 8:57 PM, 2scoops said:

are you seeing holes appear as you are shooting at 15 yard targets ?

If you are wishing to compete and progress, eyes to the target, muscle memory/practice will put the dot in the picture without focusing on it.  BUT, if you are looking for the shot to hit, get over it.  The object is to "call your shot" when you break it.

At 15yds I see the dot floating around the A-zone as I’m focused loosely on the A-zone of the target. 20yards and farther I’ll have a better or harder focus on the center of the A-zone. This will also tell me when the trigger break is clean or really, I’ll know if I jerked the trigger out the the A-zone.

Try shooting a sub 2sec bill drill with mostly A’s from 15yds with the dot off, just point shooting. Try it, you might be surprised how much you don’t need the dot inside the 15yd mark.  

Good luck.  

thanks for all the info. Just checking i'm seeing the right "picture". Often on close targets (<15 yards) i'm seeing at least the 1st hole appear when i'm really focused on the A zone. I keep dropping shots on the really close targets before a wide transition or transition to steel. Missing that little bit of visual patience to see the dot "lift" or in this case was wondering if i should see the holes appear

On 9/7/2019 at 2:02 PM, 2scoops said:

I am 44 and got my first pair of glasses last year. I don't really need them but when I do wear them I can read the TV guide or see football scores on a 55 inch TV without squinting. I know I shoot faster than I focus and call shots as best I can. If I waited around to see the holes I bet my times would double. Just try watching someone shooting the stage and look for their hits. How fast can you find the holes in the target? Are they shooting the next target before you can see both hits when all you are doing it looking for hits?

I can see holes in targets out to about 40 yards, but you should never rely on feedback from the target because it's really slow and it'll visually confuse you (sometimes you see a fly or a shiny piece of tape and it's gonna set off alarm bells)

Shot calling with a dot is seeing the dot on the target, and when you press the trigger, the bullet went there. You see the dot not the holes, if your dot was on the A zone twice you got both hits, eyes move to the next target.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:33 PM, 2scoops said:

thanks for all the info. Just checking i'm seeing the right "picture". Often on close targets (<15 yards) i'm seeing at least the 1st hole appear when i'm really focused on the A zone. I keep dropping shots on the really close targets before a wide transition or transition to steel. Missing that little bit of visual patience to see the dot "lift" or in this case was wondering if i should see the holes appear

Your pulling off the target before your 2nd shot is complete..when transitioning target to target.. Take that extra split second to see the dot on the target when the 2nd shot is made. 

With a dot, I don’t look for holes. I look for dot movement indicating recoil and commit the last dot position as the presumed hit location and keep going.  Watching for impacts is slow.  Try to use sight picture and shot execution to call your shots as much as possible.  If you catch some visual sign of impact, thats a bonus, but don’t reply on it and don’t wait for it.

I see what I'm aiming at. What I shot before, I know where the sights (iron or dot) were when I squeezed the trigger. So I'm not looking to see where the previous shot hit. At that instant all I want to see is the sights (iron or dot) aligned where I want the shot I'm making right now to hit. 

• 4 weeks later...

What NickBlasta said, except at 63 I can't see holes in targets at 40 yards. Good thing is I don't need to, center the dot call the shot. Even iron sights call the shot is very reliable. If you're looking for holes in targets they might as well time you with a sun dial!