Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon trim die

verla

15 hours ago, verla said:

Looking for a company that can make a 6mm creedmoore Dillon trim die to be used on a Dillon 650 with a RT1200 or RT 1500. Dillon offers a die in 6.5 creedmoore but not 6mm creedmoore.

Bad plan.  Unless you are going to process thousands of them *and* then want to chamfer and deburr by hand.

Get a Giraud.

Has anyone used the Frankfort arsenal platinum series case prep and trim system? It is less expensive than a Giraud and appears that it will do the same thing.

If you have what do you think of it? Is it accurate and does it do a good job of chamfering and deburring? It should be about as fast as a Giraud.

Has anyone used the Lyman electric case trimmer- if so, what do you think about it?

I would buy an expensive Giraud but my mother no longer gives me an allowance!

Edited by verla

23 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

https://leeprecision.com/case-conditioning-tools/case-trimming-tools/

Way under $100, and it's a triway cutter, and it's done on the press...no carpal tunnel from pencil sharpener trimmers...

Have you rigged this to a Dillon progressive? Seems possible from the image but I'd like to know if it's been done what worked. 

On 9/10/2019 at 1:08 PM, RiggerJJ said:

Yep, loading my 260 ammo on a 650 with a processing head and a loading head set up. I trickle the powder charge thou...

Rigger- what exactly is your set up on your Dillon 650- assume you are using a lee quick trim set up. How is it powered, etc? Would like to set one up myself since this would trim, chamfer, etc.

My Dillon RT 1200 trimmer used on my Dillon 650 has the carbide blade tilted 6 degrees. It makes a clean trim on 223 and 6mm creedmoor cases. To be sure of a clean case mouth I put the trimmed cases in a vibratory cleaner for about 30 minutes. This removes any burrs, etc from trimming. When I load I use Hornady 55 grain FMJ or 108 grain ELD boat tail bullets which go into the case mouth easily. So far I have not had the need to chamfer and de burr the case mouth.

I had the 6mm creedmoor Dillon trim die made by Whidden Gun Works in GA.

Edited by verla
additional infro

Like I said, with a processing head, and a loading head.

The processing head has a neck die, a body die, and the trimmer. I use the Lee hand crank trimmer, but the other one made for a power screwdriver will work as well.

The loading head has a powder funnel that I dump the trickled powder thru, and a seat die. Primer is seated at the usual station.

For 223 and 308 3gun ammo, I run both the same general way, but use the 1200 trimmer, and a powder hopper. Because both these are run in an AR, I also crimp, which removes any outside edges. Inside edges are removed by a expansion die, as the 1200 trimmer squeezes the neck a bit much. Like you I tumble the lube off after processing, which also will remove the burrs left behind by the 1200.

jj

2 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

Like I said, with a processing head, and a loading head.

The processing head has a neck die, a body die, and the trimmer. I use the Lee hand crank trimmer, but the other one made for a power screwdriver will work as well.

The loading head has a powder funnel that I dump the trickled powder thru, and a seat die. Primer is seated at the usual station.

For 223 and 308 3gun ammo, I run both the same general way, but use the 1200 trimmer, and a powder hopper. Because both these are run in an AR, I also crimp, which removes any outside edges. Inside edges are removed by a expansion die, as the 1200 trimmer squeezes the neck a bit much. Like you I tumble the lube off after processing, which also will remove the burrs left behind by the 1200.

jj

Interesting, thank you for the detailed response with this and the 260 / Lee method as well. 

ok- set mine up over the weekend- Lee quick trim die with Skil electric screwdriver to trim on a Dillon 650 with electric case feed for 6mm creedmoor caliber. Works great so far and is pretty accurate- trim to 1.910 inches +- 0.001 inch. Electric case feed makes it fairly quick. Still working on what to do with all of the brass trimmings generated.

Prior to trimming resize case with Hornady match grade die with neck bushing and deprime. Just switch tool heads when I do this.

Edited by verla
additional infro