Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
vgdvc

Shooters World Major Pistol as VV3n38 replacement?

So for the .38 Super/ Super comp shooters is anyone using Shooters World Major Pistol powder as a replacement for their VV3N38?  9.2grainsVV3N38 with 124jhp does shoot nicest out of my five inch Brazos with 4 popple holes but the almost non-existent availability of this powder has led me to search for a suitable alternative. 8.5 grains of Longshot with 124jhp is the next best I could find so far. Any opinions or input is certainly welcome ,thanks.

Nice. Thanks. Still looking for an alternative though for when availability does become scarce or as a backup option.

I use the Major Pistol with good results. Much cleaner than AA7. I also use the Auto Pistol for major of. It is very similar to HS6

1 hour ago, hump said:

I use the Major Pistol with good results. Much cleaner than AA7. I also use the Auto Pistol for major of. It is very similar to HS6

Thanks for the response. Are you shooting  38 super/ super comp or 9mm?  If super or super comp would you mind sharing your load data? Thanks

6 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks for the response. Are you shooting  38 super/ super comp or 9mm?  If super or super comp would you mind sharing your load data? Thanks

I am shooting 9mm. 

3N38 is for 38SC.  MP IS FOR 9MM. 

10 hours ago, vgdvc said:

38sc

124 g Everglades jhp 

10.6 g major pistol 

8 hours ago, Balakay said:

38sc

124 g Everglades jhp 

10.6 g major pistol 

👌, Thanks

Very interesting. Is MP a fine grain like AA7 Or more like 3n38? If you have a picture to compared to 3n38 that’ll be very helpful. Btw, powder valley has a hazmat sale going on right now. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MP is a very fine grained powder that meters like water.  I think it is finer than AA7.  10.2gr takes up less space than 9.4gr 3N38.  It is also very compressible if needed.

MP is a very fine grained powder that meters like water.  I think it is finer than AA7.  10.2gr takes up less space than 9.4gr 3N38.  It is also very compressible if needed.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stuff is great.  But I've never seen in a store around me.  So if you're just going to order it online I think you're going to find 3N38 much easier.  Plus 3N38 seems to be a little better for most pistols and from what I've seen a bit cleaner.  

Both 3N38 and Major Pistol have periods of unavailability; 3N38 a little more so.  Both are out of stock at the moment, at least where I buy my powder from.  The trick is to order ahead.  I have 12 lbs. of 3N38 and slightly less than 16 lbs. of Major Pistol.  I buy MP 16 lbs. at a time.  I just opened an 8 lb. jug.  When I'm about halfway through it, I'll order another 16 lbs.  Even if it is on backorder at the time, I'll get it before I use up the last 12 lbs..  Yes, I'm tying up money by stockpiling, but I'm never without.  Same thing with primers.  I order 15,000 at a time.

That's the price you pay for using something with spotty availability. 10,000 primers and 16 lbs. of powder will get me through a year of shooting 9mm major.  I've never seen a powder or primer I wanted be on backorder for that amount of time.

Anyone getting “ cornmeal” residue left on your pistol with Major Pistol ?

Apparently it’s unburned Powder adhering to all the oiled area ?

Contacted manufacturing and they asked for my loading data....no response yet............

13 minutes ago, TANFARM said:

Anyone getting “ cornmeal” residue left on your pistol with Major Pistol ?

Apparently it’s unburned Powder adhering to all the oiled area ?

Contacted manufacturing and they asked for my loading data....no response yet............

I am getting a small amount of this residue, too

I get some as well.  Not much, but it's there.

If you run your gun wet, you get a lot.  With the proper amount of lube it is barely noticeable, if at all.