Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooters World Major Pistol as VV3n38 replacement?

vgdvc

So for the .38 Super/ Super comp shooters is anyone using Shooters World Major Pistol powder as a replacement for their VV3N38?  9.2grainsVV3N38 with 124jhp does shoot nicest out of my five inch Brazos with 4 popple holes but the almost non-existent availability of this powder has led me to search for a suitable alternative. 8.5 grains of Longshot with 124jhp is the next best I could find so far. Any opinions or input is certainly welcome ,thanks.

1 hour ago, hump said:

I use the Major Pistol with good results. Much cleaner than AA7. I also use the Auto Pistol for major of. It is very similar to HS6

Thanks for the response. Are you shooting  38 super/ super comp or 9mm?  If super or super comp would you mind sharing your load data? Thanks

6 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks for the response. Are you shooting  38 super/ super comp or 9mm?  If super or super comp would you mind sharing your load data? Thanks

I am shooting 9mm. 

10 hours ago, vgdvc said:

38sc

124 g Everglades jhp 

10.6 g major pistol 

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting. Is MP a fine grain like AA7 Or more like 3n38? If you have a picture to compared to 3n38 that’ll be very helpful. Btw, powder valley has a hazmat sale going on right now. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MP is a very fine grained powder that meters like water.  I think it is finer than AA7.  10.2gr takes up less space than 9.4gr 3N38.  It is also very compressible if needed.

MP is a very fine grained powder that meters like water.  I think it is finer than AA7.  10.2gr takes up less space than 9.4gr 3N38.  It is also very compressible if needed.

Thank you. [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stuff is great.  But I've never seen in a store around me.  So if you're just going to order it online I think you're going to find 3N38 much easier.  Plus 3N38 seems to be a little better for most pistols and from what I've seen a bit cleaner.  

Both 3N38 and Major Pistol have periods of unavailability; 3N38 a little more so.  Both are out of stock at the moment, at least where I buy my powder from.  The trick is to order ahead.  I have 12 lbs. of 3N38 and slightly less than 16 lbs. of Major Pistol.  I buy MP 16 lbs. at a time.  I just opened an 8 lb. jug.  When I'm about halfway through it, I'll order another 16 lbs.  Even if it is on backorder at the time, I'll get it before I use up the last 12 lbs..  Yes, I'm tying up money by stockpiling, but I'm never without.  Same thing with primers.  I order 15,000 at a time.

That's the price you pay for using something with spotty availability. 10,000 primers and 16 lbs. of powder will get me through a year of shooting 9mm major.  I've never seen a powder or primer I wanted be on backorder for that amount of time.

Anyone getting “ cornmeal” residue left on your pistol with Major Pistol ?

Apparently it’s unburned Powder adhering to all the oiled area ?

Contacted manufacturing and they asked for my loading data....no response yet............

13 minutes ago, TANFARM said:

Anyone getting “ cornmeal” residue left on your pistol with Major Pistol ?

Apparently it’s unburned Powder adhering to all the oiled area ?

Contacted manufacturing and they asked for my loading data....no response yet............

I am getting a small amount of this residue, too