Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiocchi small pistol primers opinions

vgdvc

Back when primers were scarce, they were the only ones I could get locally.  I normally use Winchester and the Fiocchi were a direct replacement in my loads and thru my 550.  The bonus was that you got (I believe) 1500 for the price of 1k.  Now I can't find them locally, I would use them if I could.  No problems I could see.

Friend who shoots light tuned Tanfo's thinks they are as good as Federal and he uses them interchangeably.

I've shot about 15K of them and never had a loading or an ignition problem, though mostly with 1911/2011 pistols.

I "tested" them against cci, s&b, and federal on my chrono and they seemed to run about 40-50 fps slower than the others with same load, etc. If you're barely making pf with others I'd up the charge a little with them, otherwise they shoot fine.

Other posts I found suggested they are in between Federal and Winchester in softness and don't have issues with lighter hammer springs. I usually stock up on Winchester SPPs when Brownells has their 1 cent hazmat with free shipping, but I'm down to <2k SPPs at the moment so decided to take advantage of Midsouth's free hazmat on the 12k case quantity; it was the cheapest option I found for SPPs. 

Any one know how they hold up to 9mm Major loads? 

On my second box of 12000, and they have been working well. I do use slightly more powder than with CCI. Only complaint I have is the individual packets are 150 primers, which I have to split to groups of 100 for my Dillon press. I usually end up making multiples of 300 cartridges at a time because of that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have loaded 10k of them. I have had great results with them. They are easier to seat then federal in my opinion. I also load on a 1050 and have them seating deep. I plan on sticking with these primers.

• 4 years later...

Old topic but I have to ask. Since "Covid" and the associated supply shortages there were some reports of manufacturers substituting raw materials in their manufacturing processes.  Has anyone seen any difference in Fiocchi pre/post scamdemic?

I shooting buddy has been using them religiously and never had any issues. He got me 1500, and of the ones I have shot I haven't had any issues either during reloading or firing. I was going to buy more but the local retailer jacked the price up by over 20% so they aren't as cost effective anymore. I was getting them for $9/150 and they raised them to $11